Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Just looking at Excel files in Word 97 changes format??

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishguy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2002
IE
Hi,

I would really appreciate it if someone could confirm whether this is standard behaviour or not. If i open an excel 97 file in word 97 but close word without saving the file, the file is now in word format and excel will refuse to open it (Filename:file format is not valid).

A simple example -

Open Excel 97 and create a new workbook. Just type some text in one cell. Save as TEST.XLS

Now open the file in Word 97 using File-Open from within Word itself. A "Open Worksheet" dialog pops up, I choose the default of Entire Workbook. The text now shows up in a one cell table.

Now close Word - note I do not get a Save? message.

Now open the file in Excel - you can't! The file has been changed to Word format just by opening it in Word.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as it driving one particular user nuts :)

Cheers
Colm

Colm, followed your instructions and got the same result as you describe. EXCEPT that I can open the test.xls file in Excel.

What error message do you get when you try and reopen test.xls in Excel?

Thanks for the reply.

The message i get is "Test.xls:File Format is Not Valid". Also, if I look at the internals of the file, it appears to be a Word file now (even though I didn't save it and its stil called test.xls).

Can u confirm that u r using both word and excel 97 and that when u re-open test.xls in excel that it appears to be a normal spreadsheet?

Many thanks,
Colm

I am using Word and Excel 97. The test.xls file appears to be a normal excel file, so even after the reopen, the contents have not been corrupted or changed in any way.

I'll do a bit more testing and let you know if I come up with anything.

Thanks again. - Any help would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back