Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Just intalled NIC now Internet seems to stall frequently 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

soas

Technical User
Aug 3, 2001
US
Hello, I just recently bought and installed a network card in my computer. It installed without a problem, but I noticed afterwards that my dial-up connection would hesitate for about 10 seconds before sites would respond every once in a while. My network card is not connected to anything and never has been. I was connecting through a typical modem on a phone line. I bought the network card because I was about to get broadband cable internet and I wanted to connect through ethernet instead of USB. I have cable now and I notice it still stalls the same way and I have a pretty strong feeling that its the same problem.

I have not changed any network configurations after installing the network card and I figured that maybe there is something in particular I needed to change.

I am using Windows 98 and the network card I installed was a belkin f5d5000. I feel like this might be a common/typical problem for someone who doesn't know anything about network type stuff. I searched the tek-tips forum and didn't have much luck. I also searched Belkin's support pages and didn't find much and I checked for updated drivers but there are none available.

If anyone has an idea of what might be wrong I would really appreciate a response. Thanks :)

Hi,

If your network card isn't connected to anything, and you're running Win98, the chances are 98 is looking for a connection on that particular card and not finding anything. You may have clicked no to displaying DHCP messages on it, but I would recommend hard coding a private IP address to the card (start -> settings -> control panel -> network -> your network adapter -> tcp/ip and give it 192.168.1.1, click OK then ok again and reboot when prompted) and see if this fixes the problem.

John

Not great on networking at all.....but would like to say that because it happens "once in a while"......could it not be a setting in your browser and/or certain 'types of sites' only, that you have this issue with....?

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

I don't know what kind of a browser setting it could have been. I didn't have a problem until I installed a network card. Its not just any old site, it happens frequently enough to where I know its not just slow sites.

I can't give it an IP. I guess its because I have my cable modem hooked up through it and it assigns an IP to it or something to that affect. I tried doing exactly that and I couldn't access the internet anymore. I tried unchecking everything in the "Bindings" tab just to see if it would help. It was just "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "Microsoft Family Login". It doesn't seem to have had a negative side affect but its hard to decide whether it made a difference.

Any other ideas would be welcomed :)

I've heard of this problem in another forum.....and the fix was to unplug the cable modem completely and/or press the reset button (in other words re-install the cable modem)(Call the company......something to do with the assignment of the specific IP address through the modem....or modem unique ID.....

Because I'm unsure of the exact fix......alot of others know much more about bindings and DHCP/Static addresses and such.......might I suggest first;
Have you installed "Direct Cable Connection" through Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Windows Setup>Communications????

and/or then maybe trying to remove the "Client" and re-install
or maybe you need to add a particular Client/Adapter/Protocol/or Service......

i can't be much help as I'm still using good-ole dialup.....oh,....and I'll try to find that thread from the other forum for U
In reference to the browser settings.......I was referring to maybe advanced protocol settings or LAN settings

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Just to let you know...I've found that thread, but unfortunately it had to do with resetting and Restoring factory default settings to a Belkin ROUTER......darn, dang-nabbit...

Notification:

Ok, well I've had experience with the same kind of problem and this has worked numerous times. Many times, many unnecessary protocols get installed and for some reason, windows 98 has trouble.

Try this:

Open up your network properties and remove everything in there...protocols, services, clients, devices....just remove them all. Reboot the machine and let windows reconfigure your network properties and set up protocols, clients, etc. (be prepared to insert the Win98 disk and maybe drivers disks). Windows should set up the bare necessity...such as Client for Microsoft Windows, your devices (NIC, dial up adapter), and TCP/IP. That should be all you need unless you're part of a network that requires something different, but it doesn't seem like you are. Try that...i know it sounds weird, but it has surprised me many times and resolved alot of chaos.

I removed everything and let windows set everything up fresh and that definitely seems to have made a differences. I like it much better that way too; I only have what I need to have installed on there.

Thanks for all the help you guys! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back