Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

just inherited exchange backup problem ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggal

MIS
Nov 26, 2002
US
I just inherited exchange backup duties at my company.
We are running 11.5 SP2 on Exchange Server 2003 backing up to tape on a Dell Powervault 122T.
The job is setup as a 5 day weekly FULL (Document Level) backup with GFS enabled.
Here's the problem ....

The backup job runs succesfully however the database shuts down at the end of the job.Every morning I have to manually restart the databse in order for the Prune job to run. Pruning then runs sucessfully and then once again the database shuts down.I noticed that .CAT files are not being processed and are getting stuck in the TEMP folder so I run mergcat.exe daily to remove them.
The activity log reads:
Information 11/15/2006 08:24:04 AM 2930 End pruning
E4101 11/15/2006 08:26:04 AM Unable to login to database engine.(DATABASE=EC=-2005)
Information 11/15/2006 08:26:04 AM [JOBQUEUE]: Rescheduled for 11/16/06 at 8:00 AM [Job No: 1] [Description: Database Pruning Job]
Information 11/15/2006 08:26:04 AM [JOBQUEUE]: Status changed from Active to Ready [Job No: 1] [Description: Database Pruning Job]
E5110 11/15/2006 08:28:02 AM The database is no longer available.

I have been through the whole gammet of diagnostics....
Dbfix - Defrag - Keybuild - yesterday I finally broke down and initilized the ASTPSDAT database hoping that this would solve the issue. Not to be ! Came in this morning and found the same recuring problem.
Any help on troubleshooting or advise on how to resolve this issue ??
What is the damage if I initilze all the database files ?
Will I just need to set up a new backup job ?

Hi biggal,

Reinit all databases, and resubmit rotation jobs to recreate pools (empty).
You will have to quick erase plus tapes or reassign them manually to the pools.
If you use disk staging too, better disable staging on FS devices, quick erase them and reactive staging. Revalidate job after that to be sure that everithing is okay on staging and destination.

Rgds,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back