Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Just coming back to work after 6+ years

Status
Not open for further replies.

itpphoneguy

Technical User
Dec 27, 2002
CA
Hi All,
It's been almost 7 years since I was taken out on the road returning from a job. Just trying to get back at it now. I lost my iP Office certification, so now it's time to be re-certified. Thank goodness insurance will cover the courses.

It was a bad accident - everyone who drives (almost all of you I guess), use your head rest and keep it up in position! That was the difference between me here and me in the ground. No kidding. I originally though I would be back at work in a couple weeks .... nope.

So, I see the Magix is history. I'll miss it's reliability but nothing else about it. The Partner is gone as well. Now there is a little switch I'm really going to miss. It was about the best little system for small business there was in my book.

Now it's all iP Office, so okay. One question for the pro's out there. Has this system matured enough to be reliable? The last system I installed was a 403 with a few modules. We went through many replacements, making it the least reliable system I have ever installed. Please tell me the teething problems are over!

-Chris

Welcome back! I hope you do well.
IP Office has grown up and is quite mature and reliable although going through this forum it seems not but here you only read the problems encountered and in my opinion 90 percent is created by the guys installing the system and from the remaining 10 percent 9 percent is caused by external infrastructure while the last percent may be related to a bug.

So, that is quite a line.

If it ain't dutch it ain't much

Hi Chris,

Some problems are gone and some came in place of it :)
It is software based so bugs are always around the corner.
I work on the IPO form 3.0 until now and i still love the product.
Although i am getting gray hears soon i think.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Hi Chris

I thank God that you're alive to tell the tale and I trust that you won't forget Him either.

I have to say that, having maintained and installed PBXs and key systems since 1978 which have been manufactured from all parts of the globe, the IP Office is still my favourite, bugs and all. This is because I think of it as the "little engine that could!" That is to say it packs quite a bit of punch (features) in a little package and, to be honest, the more that you can do creates all the more opportunities for things to go wrong! This is true for almost ALL multifunction devices [even those designed by Apple :) ] because there are so many factors to take into account, some even external to the device in question.

All in all I believe that when the "accounts" are balanced the IP Office comes out far ahead on the positive side of the balance sheet.

Best regards,
Mike

Hi,
Guys, thank you. It has been a heck of a long road back so far, but I'll get there. This is the official third attempt at coming back. At least they are giving me training to be current with the world. That's where I've been the last couple days. It is tiring.

Problems going forward are chronic pain - something I couldn't even imagine before this, and a complete inability to lift anything over 10 pounds or so. "Soft tissue" damage is something worse than broken bones I'm told. The pain issues make is very difficult to concentrate and learn. It takes 80 mg of Oxycontin (OxyNeo now) and endocet (like percocet) every day to allow movement. Being in this situation makes me want to save anyone else here these problems. If you drive to customer sites, make sure all you safety equipment works. It's also critical to store anything you are carrying securely. Any of you who saw the mini-van I was driving in the picture can see how everything in bags and cardboard boxes were ejected and scattered about. It's very easy to get hit with your tool container, systems or even spools of cable. I had never given this much thought, but still stowed everything well. That is another thing that helped, but you can see it was just luck cargo didn't nail me as well.

The main concerns about the iP Office came from my direct experience with the early systems. Avaya was sure to solve some problems, but long experience has shown that this can take years. I look after some government infrastructure comms. Reliability and flexibility are my main concerns. With that in mind, iP Office was not selected for those installations. The query was to find out everyone's feelings about the current product.

Hi Mike,
I completely agree with you that poor programming and unsuitable installation locations are the biggest problem ... for any phone system out there. Everything you just posted are things that plague all of us. Especially when we first walk into an unfamiliar installation with a new account. I think all of you have answered my concern about reliability for the iP Office. Still going to miss the little Partner though!

Thank you, all of you! -Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back