Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Just changed motherboards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2001
US
I just installed a new motherboard and it boots but will not recognize the primary or the primary slave. Then it says that there is a keyboard error. I have tried several keyboards and have tried several hard drives. I have cleared the cmos but cannot get into the bios setup due to not being able to use the keyboard. It then reboot itself and starts the process over and over. Any ideas????

Is this a normal PS/2 keyboard? If so it sounds like the PS/2 port is faulty.

Ash.

I thought about that but why wont it recognize any hard drives. I even switch IDE ports and it still recognizes the secondary 2 but not the primary.

Make sure you don't have keyboard lock ON if there is one on the case...and that the keyboard and mouse are plugged into the correct plugs. Simply reversing them would cause this behavior.

If that's all in order:

Check drive jumpering to make sure it's right.

From your switching the drives to the secondary controller
(which is ideally the method of testing the controller/connectors) I suspect you might have a problem with either the controller or the connector on the motherboard. (more likely controller)
Make sure they are seated firmly.

You sure you dont have the keyboard and mouse plugs reversed? Be careful, because PS2 keyboard and mouse plugs are not hot pluggable. System must be shut down and the power turned off also to move them!

Go into the BIOS and check to make sure the hard drive setup for CYLINDERS AND TRACKS is set up. Sometimes it has to be set to auto. Also if the motherboard came with a CD it may have some more drivers to install to make the OS recognize some chipset parts on the motherboard.

You have to be able to read the HD first though??? Duh. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Are you trying to boot from the old operating system configured for you old motherboard?
With a new motherboard it is always best to format and clean install the OS and M/B drivers.
That way it can configure for the new chipset etc.
Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back