Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

just cannot get through to server with VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepalm

Technical User
May 28, 2001
NZ
I can get to my Win2k Server over a Lan but when I try to connect with Win98 and VPN adapter I cannot get in. I have enabled port 1723 on my DSL/Router but still no go.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks

Thanks for your reply,

The options I have under my Router config for Ports are TCP, UDP, ICMP, PPTP, which one do I use for IP Protocol 47?

Thanks

Tony

A couple of things you need to check on...
1. You need to make sure that when you log in locally (to your Win98 machine), that you use the same name as when you log into the VPN server.
2. Are you IP addresses on your Win98 LAN restricted to the same network address space as the Win2K server's LAN address space? For instance, if you are restricted to having 192.168.1.XXX as your client's address, and you are also restricted to having 192.168.1.XXX as IP addresses on your Win2K LAN, the VPN will not work. (Note: This can be a restriction if both of your LAN's have a Linksys router). If this is the case, you need to change your subnet mask to 255.255.255.128 (for both LAN's), and have 192.168.1.(<128) addresses be used on one LAN, and 192.168.1.(>128) addresses be used on the other. That way, the VPN clients & servers can tell whether or not the address you are trying to connect to is a LAN address or a WAN address.

Confusing, I know.
e.

IP protocol 47 aka GRE is enabled on most home router\gateways with what is called, IPSec passthru or PPTP passthru. IPSec is really for Protocol 50 ESP, so you do not really need that one, but it is an option in the MS vpns along side of PPTP. Good luck. I have one like this set up for gaming sometimes. the idea about the lan IPs is valid only more difficult than it needs to be. Just tell the VPN server to assign IPs in a range outside of you LAN. I.e. if your LAN is 192.168.1.xxx then your range should be 192.168.2.xxx or 3.xxx or whatever is not 192.168.1.xxx. The VPN client at the other end will just take another IP for the tunnel, that is how that works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back