Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

just bought a new pc and I've been trying to install windows 7, keeps rejecting product key

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghuzz

MIS
Nov 7, 2002
GB
Hi, I've just bought a new pc and I've been trying to install windows 7, however it says the product key is invalid! I tried a clean install. Does this mean I need to install Xp 3 first and use the clean install version from there? The copy I have is home premuim upgrade!

cheers

>Does this mean I need to install Xp 3 first and use the clean install version from there?

Basically, yes

Ok, so basically were I have went wrong is that I need to have a Microsoft Windows pre-installed to use the Windows 7 upgrade?

cheers

Yup, that's pretty much the point of an upgrade ... Older versions of Windows upgrades would work by allowing you to put your legit installation media for the older version into a drive to be checked. W7 doesn't do this; it checks for a partition with XP (or Vista) installed into it. You can't upgrade a blank PC.

But, as you are probably aware, if your copy of XP (or Vista) is an OEM version, the terms of your licence agreement with Microsoft mean that you can't install that on the new PC either.

Yea, ok, the Xp is a full version.Damn, need to re-install Xp then! Anyway, I've got Linux Cinnamon 18 onboard just now!

cheers !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back