Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

just a question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleypoxon

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2009
GB
OK, I have a little query that needs some advice from you guys.

I have now got a new server 2008 domain, running on VMware Vsphere 4 shared across a MSA200 SAN. This is all running OK and now need to look at the backup solution.

Our file server is currently about 350GB in total, then we have various SQL databases, application servers and some small data servers as well as the DCs.

I was going to look at an online solution for the server backup solution BUT the cost per GB is about £2.00 and we need to retain about 2 years worth of the backups. Then there would be the problem of the length of the restore process in the event of a disaster. But is it worth investing in tapes and the tape drives? What are most other companies with large amounts of data doing (it may not be that large amount to some people)

One idea I have toyed with is, creating the backup jobs in backup exec using a backup-to-disk device and backing all the servers up to one large drive and then periodically backing up to an offsite location for disaster recovery. Just not too sure what would be the best investment.

Thanks

That's a common solution to your situation. Good backup software isn't cheap, but is much more flexible than an online solution. Symantec Backup Exec software + VMWare Agents + Windows Server agents + SQL Agents is not going to be cheap.

Kudos for having figured out a bigger issue with online backups... the time it takes to do a full backup and a full restore.

Backing up to disk and then copying to tape for offsite storage is an excellent solution. It solves lots of issues with tape (slow seek and restore times, issues with differential jobs, and email database restore operations). You just need *lots* of local HDD storage for a full copy of your network + differential data and + room to grow. If you have in your B2D repository 10-20 times the storage of your regular network, that's a good starting point.

Symantec doesn't officially support a backup to disk location stored on a non-Windows based NAS. You should try them though, and see if they work for you. Some people have no problems, your mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back