Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Just a curoisty question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlinkingLeaf

Technical User
Jun 27, 2003
US
For fun I've been thinking about making windows 98 floppies from a windows 98 CD. I know it can be done with a Windows 95 CD, so I'm just curious if it could be done with a Windows 98 CD.
So feel like it, through in your two cents, I'll probably wind up trying it and let you know...but I'm not to sure what would be needed on the floppies..

Howdy:

Just checked my Win98SE cd and it contains 637 megs of files.. that equates to 443 floppies.. Got that many on hand??

Murray

443? That's a lot of floppies, unforutnately I don't have that many laying around. Shame, but what files do you think would be needed if one was to do it?

The critical stuff is 101 files/127 mb in the win98 directory, mostly in 1.8mb chunks. (SE)
So you will need something that will allow you to format at that size, and something else that will allow you to read/write at that size. And the read would need to be put on a floppy to make it active so you could access the 1.8s later.
Any other types of S&M that you're into?
Some 95 versions came on floppies, and they could be duplicated, but the CD versions had some larger files that couldn't be copied directly to floppies.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Right. As edfair said, the Win95 floppy versions were tailored by Microsoft specifically and had nothing to do with converting the CD version to floppy. Doing that is a whole other ball game.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

The Win95 floppies came with the first formatted at the standard 1.44MB but the rest of the set was in DMF [Distribution Media Format] at about 1.68MB each. Made copying them difficult without software that would do it such as WinImage, usually got the message about the format not matching. Office 4.2 and 4.3 were the same way.

I have a couple sets of original Win95 floppies, each has 23 floppies and they kept you busy during install. These came in handy for computers without cd drives, still use them some.

okcomp

Thank you edfair and no I have a strick limit on the amount of S&M I can tolerate. :)
Anyway, I know what you mean about the windows 95 CD and floppies, I actually did make a set of floppies from them (no special formating was needed which shocked me, used the standard 1.44 from wal-mart of all place.)
But you did answer my question, I was think it would be something like that but thought I'd share the fun. Anyway thanks and if I ever feel like torturing myself by actually doing this I'll let you know how it goes.

Don't know how you did it. Every set I have seen had the DMF format from disk 2 to the end. And it upchucked without the special drivers.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

edfair:
X-copy w/format would copy disk to disk. X-copy A: to A: would recognize the larger format and create the same on the new disks. I found this with the Windows 3.1 disks and was amazed. It was totally un-documented by MicroShaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back