Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Junk Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

fvcu

MIS
Apr 12, 2000
CA
One of our users forwarded an e-mail to me. It was a well known internet scam. His question was &quot;How did I get this e-mail. My e-mail address is not in the 'To' field?&quot;<br><br>We're using Exchange 5.0 SP2 and Outlook 97. How does a message like this arrive in a mailbox that isn't in the &quot;To&quot; field.<br><br>Thank you.<br><br>Mike

One of the easiest ways to do this is to send a message to yourself, then put all the other addresses in the BCC field.&nbsp;&nbsp;This is Blind Copy which allows you to send copies of a message without others being able to see who all saw it.&nbsp;&nbsp;This is used regularly by bulk mailers.&nbsp;&nbsp;For example a salesman could send out a price list to all clients without exposing their addresses to everyone else in the list. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

<B>Here's a twist</B>. After trying the BCC method, I found that it does work that way and I let the user know. He just contacted me to say that he just received the same junk e-mail but this time there is no 'To' or 'CC' field. If the 'To' field has no content (at least in my Outlook/Exchange environment) the message cannot be sent.

What Outlook are you using?&nbsp;&nbsp;I am on Outlook 2000 and I can send with only the CC field filled and also with only the BCC field filled.<br><br>There are other ways to junk mail as well.&nbsp;&nbsp;This just happens to be one I know of. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

Thanks, Jeff. We are using Outlook 97. I just tested and found that you can fill in just the BCC field and the recipient receives an e-mail message with no 'To' field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back