Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jumpy cursor...flies all over the screen 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahnula

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US
Hello,

I have a client PC, Asus Terminator Socket 754:

running Win2K on my SBS network. The cursor has been jumping around for no reason, intermittently. Move the cursor to the bottom and it jumps to the top, or vice versa. Moving it quickly around seems to encourage the behavior.

Suspecting the wireless mouse, I removed it & the keyboard and replaced w/ new-out-of-box wired devices. Disconnected all USB peripherals. Logged in as local Admin. User had installed some adware, got rid of it, still there. Checked for mouse driver updates, ran virus scan, etc.

Any ideas?

Tony

Some meeces can be very touchy with what material they are used on, colourful mouse pads or glass table tops, for example.

Have you tried different surfaces?

Cheers,
Brodie

cbs604 said:
Have you tried different surfaces?

Took away the hard plastic mouse pad, replaced with standard cloth-covered rubber pad, better but still jumpy. I tried a trackball mouse and it worked, I think there was a problem with the laser shooting off the pad and reflecting off the glass top at an angle causing the weirdness. Thanks Brodie!

Tony

click on the mouse icon in the system tray or in the Control panel to reset the speed.

If it is a wireless mouse, replace batteries.

If that doesn't work, go to the device manager (start>settings>control panel>system>hardware>device manager) and remove the mouse. Reboot. It will automatically reinstall.

If it is a mouse with a ball, remove the ball and wash it, dry it and replace (This probably will have no effect, but they pick all kinds of yuck, which messes up performance).

If that doesn't work, get a new mouse. Mice die. Some computers eat them up at a considerable rate. (This desktop is named "Fluffy" for a reason..kills them off). PS2 ports go bad, so try a USB mouse. (ALWAYS have a USB mouse ready for an emergency..I have a drawer full of mouses, mice, meeses, whatever.)

Optical Mice (at least the ones I've tried) must be used on a plain colour suface, simple as that. They get confused otherwise.

There's no much need in a mouse mat anyway since any dirt it picks up from the table won't affect its performance like with a ball mouse.

There's no much need in a mouse mat anyway since any dirt it picks up from the table won't affect its performance like with a ball mouse.

...not necessarily. Most of my laser mice don't act properly and drag w/o a cloth/rubber surface under them, even the expensive one. Colors don't seem to matter as much as the texture. This problem this time was definitely the pad, a changing-image one that has striations going through it that you can feel like a small washboard. Plus it is too tiny and the mouse falls off constantly.

<rant>This idiot User changed his mousepad without telling me, then proceeds to complain at lengths to me about how crummy his PC is, don't I have a better one for him to use, this thing is a real POS, now the mouse jumps everywhere.</rant> Still my fault for not seeing that immediately.

I apologize for wasting everyone's time and am glad the IU (Idiot User) does NOT read this forum!

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back