Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jumpstart

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtrepani

MIS
May 30, 2002
US
All,

This may be a silly question, but does a jumpstart server have to be a solaris machine?

Thanks

Will

Hello

The actual server has to be a solaris server (sparc or intel). Even though the filesystem that holds the image of the disks can be mounted on a remote system that is not a solaris mchine.

Micha Micha Grunberg
Unix Sys-Admin

i would have thought that theoretically it wouldn't have to be solaris, however the install server software only comes for solaris :)

Thanks for the replies.

I have aquired a couple of X86 boxes to use to test as a intall server, etc. I am trying to develop a DR process/plan for our SUN systems.

Will jumpstart handle all the Solstice file systems? I have solstice running on about every system with metadevices, and am hoping jumpstart will automatically set all this back up????

Thanks for any info...

Will

No, it can be set on a linux box with some tweaks. Write back and I'll provide you with more details if interested

if it's a one off machine, you're better off producing it manually i reckon ... although having said that my install server does set the time correctly, and it doesn't need that /etc/init.d/webstart for the second CD, which always fails on faster machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back