Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jumpstart

Status
Not open for further replies.

krishsays

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2004
GB
Hi Guys,

Is there some way where I can have the jumpstart client and boot server on different network segments..? till now all the documents i have seen says that both should on same segment. I am not able to get any machine on my clinet's ,segment to act as a boot server ...hence the question...

thanks
Kris

rarp cannot cross a router so you have to have the boot server on the same subnet of your client, but your install server can be on another network. Use the -b option with setup-server to create the boot-only server.

kHz is correct. The DHCP cannot cross subnets, and the RARP cannot cross routers, so they have to be on the same subnet, however they can be on different routers so long as they are VLAN configured to be in the same subnet.

I installed two network cards in my Jumpstart server, so it is on both segments. You might want to look into that if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back