Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

jumpstart server

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAF786

MIS
Aug 1, 2005
US
We have one jumpstart server, but we need one more for different location, If I make a tar ball of the jumpstart files and ftp to the new machine....can I build new jumpstat server this way.

As long as you make the tar ball from jumpstart root directory you should be cool for the most part. Just make sure to make your share in dfstab and start nfs.server deamon. The only files outside the jumpstart directory that matter are /etc/bootparams and tftpboot directory which from what I remember are created when you execute add_install_client etc...

Thanks

CA

A tar ball of the jumptart files will be ok but creating a tar ball of the OS images will not work as all the symlinks will be lost when you untar it on the new machine.

better way to do it would be to do a ufsdump of the OS directories and a ufsrestore on the new machine this way all symlinks willbe kept and recreated upon ufsrestoring.

I tried taring up the OS images and moving them to a new machine but this failed due to the unatred files not being complete.

HTH
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back