Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

jumpstart flash slow 480R Solaris 8 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elemica

MIS
Jan 14, 2002
Hi all

Recently I created an flar image of a 480R server. The image size is just over 5gb. Image creation took just about an hour. The flash jumpstart install of this image on another identical 480R server too over six hours.

Any ideas on why flash install should take so long. The network interfaces are qfes 100Mbps , full duplex.

TIA

Are you certain it was a 100 FDX because when I did it they always came up HDX. That seems like the problem you are having. What you can do is write a begin script to hard set it to 100FDX and put it in your rules file that should fix it for you. Thats what i did.

Thanks for the feed back. Rather sure that the slowness was due to the the interface going into HDX , though I couldn't verify it. Am curious to know how you fixed it using rules file.

Appreciate your feed back :)

Well you could write a begin script to hard code it so your rules would like look like this.

system blah config_duplex profile finish.script
etc...

As far as the finish script I cant post it here but right now it is at work so I will have to do that tomorrow. Basically what I did though was determine the kind of interface by the system type Blade, Ultra, etc...

you could do something like this if it is the only system that you will be flash starting. I havent used a qfe in awile so these settings might need some tweaking.

# rules file (use the output from uname -a i am not sure if that is the correct SUNW,Sun-Fire-etc...)

system SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R set_duplex profile finish

This is what you would put in set_duplex you could also get a list by typing ndd /dev/qfe \? to see if all these are valid the most important ones though are 100fdx, 100hdx, and autoneg. Also to set it to this after the system is built you can put the same script in /etc/rc?.d or you might be able to add it to /etc/system.

#!/bin/sh
ndd -set /dev/qfe instance 0
ndd -set /dev/qfe adv_autoneg_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/qfe adv_100T4_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/qfe adv_100fdx_cap 1
ndd -set /dev/qfe adv_100hdx_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/qfe adv_10fdx_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/qfe adv_10hdx_cap 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor