Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JSP suggestion for developing a field validation function

Status
Not open for further replies.

nissan240zx

Programmer
Jun 26, 2005
US
Hello All,
Need some ideas for a concept I am working on.
The concept is - I have a application that will store images on the server to be used by certain application.
The section I am working on now is more like a image bank.
You add images, edit, search them.
The fields for add image are:
Image Name - Name of the image
Image Code - Unique code to indentify the image
Image - Image Upload (Browse).

Now for Image Code I want to do something similar to Yahoo Mail Id signup page..where when you enter your desired yahoo mail id - immediately a button shows up saying "Check Availability"..and you click it and it checks if the id exists - If No then it allows u to use the id...if it exists then you are given suggestions to select something new and you can either select it or enter a new id.

Want to do something same.
But instead of getting all complex.
I just want my suggestions to be simple.
For example if the image id I am entering is "Image", I want my suggestions to be Image001, Image002, Image003.

Please advice...

Thanks...

A good programmer is someone who looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. - Doug Linder

Store the names on a database and check if it exists.

After that, concatenate numbers to the original name and recheck if it's present.

Cheers,
Dian

Do I have to setup a counter type script to generate the number to concatenate to the names.

Advice please....

A good programmer is someone who looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. - Doug Linder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back