Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JSP - Basic questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

abacaxi

Programmer
May 1, 2003
US
Hi,
I have years of experience with Active Server Pages(VBScript), COM and some limited C++.
I'm beginning to venture into into the Java world.

I guess my question for today is:
If I have a live Apache web server on Linux, do I need to have any thing on Linnux in order to run the .jsp files?
Does Apache need to recognize the .jsp architecture or is this left to the bowser?
Does JRE or some other environment need to installed on the Linux box?
Can I just create some .jsp pages and plop them on Apache?

Also, does anybody know of a place that I could find tips on deployment issues such as these. I feel comfortable enough to figure out the code.

Thanks,
Todd

Hi Todd,

Apache by itself will not process JSP files.

You will need a JSP compliant web server.
There is a project called Jakarta which includes the Tomcat web server which is JSP and Servlet compliant. Tomcat can be configured to play nice with Apache so that Apache will be your primary web server, then when a JSP page is called it is passed on to Tomcat to process.

You can find more information about this at
JSP is actually very similar to ASP in the way it operates.
It is processed on the server side and the results of the processing are sent to the browser in HTML format.

I have already been stressed through the process of setting up Apache and Tomcat together on Linux so if you run into any problems setting it up email me at geefunk@geefunk.com and I will see if I can help you out.

Almost forgot. In addition to Tomcat, you will the Java 2 SDK.

Regards,
Gerald

Hello Todd,

Perhaps you should consider using JServ. It is also a project of the Apache Group, as Jakarta is. Jserv supports servlets and JSP too.

You will also be needing the JSDK as gerald has said. Try to get the 2.1 version which is quite good with JServ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back