Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JS/Seeker

Status
Not open for further replies.

soluod

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2000
US
I've got a problem with the Windows installer, which will neither reinstall nor repair Microsoft Office 2000. I had a virus in my computer, JS/Seeker. Will this affect that?

Also, what can I do about the inability of my computer to get into Microsoft Word, or any other programs that come with Microsoft Office 2000?

This is an HP XL844, running Windows 2000 Professional.

God - do you believe in Him? Does He believe in you?

Do a search for Normal.dot when you find it rename it as Normal.old and then restart your PC. When you next attempt to start Word2000 a new version of the Normal.dot will be created and you may then delete the one named Normal.old

Let me know how you make out.

I've got a similar problem with installer (caused by uninstalled Roxios Easy CD Creator - its affected other progs too as it 'took out' the windows installet folder!), but can still use Office programs (so not too worried yet!). In your case, presume you've cleaned virus out now - did it just affect Office? If so, you could try something like removing the installed folder (Microsoft Office) under Program files, then running a registry cleaner (eg, one at which will hopefully remove much of office stuff from registry because the applications are all gone. I'd also remove the add/remove programs entry for Office (something like Xteq's X-setup will do this). Then I'd try reinstalling. If still no good, I'd consider backing up and doing a clean install of Win2k (or use your recovery disk if you have one).

You will save yourself alot of effort by just following my post concerning the Normal.dot Generally with your symptoms the recreation of that template solves the problem.

I'll try ff1048's recommendation first, to see how it works. God - do you believe in Him? Does He believe in you?

'Also, what can I do about the inability of my computer to get into Microsoft Word, or any other programs that come with Microsoft Office 2000?' - a corrupt normal.dot does not normally stop you getting into office programs, it just causes problems when you're in Word - so I suspected more than new normal.dot was required.

Didn't work. Normal.doc didn't recreate itself. God - do you believe in Him? Does He believe in you?

I'm thinking of removing Microsoft Office 2000, removing all references to it in the registry (I've got XTec), and reinstalling it. If it will reinstall.

The other day I used the A drive to correct Windows, which was not starting up right, going right to the file that says something about use the previous configuration, rather than boot from the CD (which I have). But it told me that certain files were corrupt, and I've had this problem since.

It will reconfigure from the CD now, but it's still making a problem.

I don't know what to do.

Maybe I'll get Microsoft XP in this thing, see how it works. Don't want to though. I don't like Bill Gates, not even a little bit. I don't know if I can blame him. But it's his OS. God - do you believe in Him? Does He believe in you?

Does anyone know of a good backup program, with compression, that will write to a CDRW drive? I've got a 29GB hard drive, though I only want to pack up my personal files.

Also, since I don't know how, how does one backup his email? God - do you believe in Him? Does He believe in you?

Just for the record......the file is "normal.dot"

Not, "normal.doc"

to back up your email you make a copy of your .pst file
if you are storing it locally, assuming that you are using Outlook as your client. Microsoft now has a utility (free) that will do this for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back