Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JPG thumbnails not showing 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diancecht

Programmer
Jan 8, 2004
ES
Hi all

In windows explorer if I choose to view thumbnails for my images, all it now shows is a generic placeholder for the pics and not small versions of the actual image. The filmstrip option doesn't either work.

The file association (Microsoft Photo Editor) hasn't changed and I haven't installed any graphic software.

When I open the file, the options to show the next image on directory have also disappeared.

Any hint would be wellcome

Cheers,
Dian

Thanks for your respondse, Rick, but no joy.

The strangest part is Photo Editor doesn't show the next/previous buttons, but I guess it's another symptom of the same problem.

Cheers,
Dian

In that case, strange though it may seem, it may be a problem with the graphics rendering engine in Internet Explorer (and used by the operating system and other MS applications).

Before carrying out a repair to Internet Explorer, I suggest you carry out a thorough check for malware using the following (in the same order):

Ewido (freeware - available as download or online scan)

Ad-Aware (freeware)

SpyBot (freeware)

MS AntiSpyware (freeware)

Hope this helps...

Thanks again for your response.

I've run some scans and nothing suspicious. I've deassociated and reassociated jpeg files to the editor with no joy. I've compared settings with another computer where everything runs ok and seems the same.

The image is correctly rendered in the editor, and I can't see any relationship between image rendering and showing commands to the user. Do you still think a repain into Ie would make things come better?

Cheers,
Dian

Did you unregister the shimgvw.dll or use any of the unofficial WMF vulnerability patches over the last couple of weeks?

It's my understanding that these steps to fend of a WMF exploit might have removed the ability to view thumbnails in Explorer.

I'm not sure about the official Microsoft patch, though. . .

Thanks for the reply.

I've read the story about that vulnerability on this forum, but seemed too risky at first sight to apply those patches, so I didn't.

Cheers,
Dian

The only info I can find that relates to both missing JPG thumbnails and MS Photo Editor is here:

Cannot View Thumbnail Image

This refers to the version included with Office 97 Pro.

Have you tried an un-install/re-install of Photo Editor?

I'm impressed.

Thank you very much Rich, that finally worked.

I think I was good at searchs, but I guess my combinations of "not showing", "dissapeared" and so on with "thumbnails" missed the "not showing" part.

Anyway, I still can't imagine why this keys could have been deleted. Well, to my understanding they've never been there, as I checked another computer where everything runs ok and they aren't.

So the next option is something about the editor that changed, but it's so strange that the "thumbnain engine" uses it.

I'd try to do some research and if I find something I will come bak here to post.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Dian

Dear Rick998:

your tip helped ME with the very same jpeg issue in XP explorer.

Now, how about my gif's and bmp's. Will the same registry entries you suggested fix those missing thumbnails too?

Thanks
charlieo

Dear Rick998:

gif's and bmp's are still showing up as placeholders. JPG's, MPG's and AVI's etc are OK after running Kelly's Tweaks.

thoughts?

charlieo

I'm wondering whether this may be due to corrupted thumbnail caches... Do you have thumbnail caches turned on?

To check, open a folder in 'My Computer' or 'Explorer' then select 'Folder Options' in the 'Tools' menu. Then, on the 'View' tab, check whether the 'Do not cache thumbnails' check box is ticked.

If it IS ticked then untick it, 'Apply' the change then click on the 'OK' button. Next, delete the thumbnail cache. It's a hidden file so, back in 'Folder Options > View', select the option to 'Show hidden files and folders' (and un-tick 'Hide extensions for known file types).

When you 'Apply' the change and click on the 'OK' button you should be able to see a file called 'Thumbs.db' (if not, change the 'View' to 'Details'). This is the thumbnail cache. Delete the file then change the 'View' back to 'Thumbnails'.

If thumbnails appear for all filetypes including BMP and GIF then you know the cache was corrupt.

Rick:
the cache boc was 'ticked.' Unticked and deleted all the thumbs.db files.

Still not seeing those thumbs.

No problem in the Photoshop CS file browser.

Thanks,

charlieo

Is this a long-standing problem or has it just happened recently?

Have you scanned your PC recently for malware?

Have you manually changed any file associations?

What are BMP and GIF filetypes registered to open with?
(See for info)

Have you followed any recent advice - prior to MS's latest Critical Update re WMF exploits - to un-register any DLL's?

Have you tried the following:
Click Start, click Run, type the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:
regsvr32.exe /i shdocvw.dll

Hope this helps...

Oops! I forgot to add...

Does this happen with all folders containing images or just a few folders?

Have you tried the following (to check system files)? (You'll need an XP CD handy if the installation files aren't stored on your hard disk):

Click Start, click Run, type the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:
sfc.exe/scannow

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back