Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JPG files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormfront26

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
US
I was trying to be nice to another user and she dropped these two perplexing problems on me. I never should have answered my phone. I hope someone has seen these problems before. Here goes:

1. In Control Panel> Display> Desktop, under the Background section where you can choose the Background on your XP desktop she can't preview any .JPG files only .BMP files. The .JPG files would be like Stonehenge, Tulips, Vortec space etc. She can see the .BMP files like Bliss, Coffee Bean, and Feather Texture. Are there any good ideas out there on how to fix that other than reimaging?

2. How do you remove the shading that appears under the fonts or icons on the desktop? Her desktop has a blue shading around the icons and its like a box around the fonts.

I really hope someone can help me help her with this. I think I saw it once on my PC at home but I can't remember how I fixed that. Thanks for all the help.

RS

All the .jpg files are stored in the location at C/Windows/Web/Wallpaper. All the .bmp files are located in C/Windows. Are the Permissions correct, or does the .jpg location exist? If the .jpg files are in that location, can they be opened from there by the user?

Play around with this setting.

Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance/Settings/ Visual Effects/"Use drop shadows for icon labels on the Desktop"

Background color in desktop icons
thread779-798392

desktop icons surrounded with blue, not background
thread779-734576

Transparent Desktop Icon text background
thread779-418596

Thanks for thr help linney. I went through all of the threads you listed. Tried them and nothing worked. After a half hour of playing with every desktop option possible, I did a System Restore on her PC (glad I have folks run those periodically), went through your steps again (right click on My Compter>Properties>Advanced>Performance>Visual Effects) and played with all of the settings. Finally after checking and unchecking use drop shadows it finally worked. I don't know what the user did but I told her no more downloading wallpapers from the web. I also ran a reg fix from Kelly's Korner and got her PC to start recognizing JPG files again. Thanks for your tips. You definitely got me going in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back