Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JPEG Files That are Too Large

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCatMCS

Programmer
Apr 29, 2004
US

I have some jpeg files that are over 1 Meg. Is there a way to get these files down to a reasonable amount (like 30 K). I have a slew of pics I want to put as thumbnails on my website and I would like to have as much room as possible. Would I need a software package like Photoshop to do this or is there a shareware program out there I can get a hold of for free or low price instead of forking out $600? Thanks in advance.

where did you get jpeg's that large?

jpeg "Joint Photographic Experts Group" is actually an image compression program that can compress up to a 20 to 1 ratio.

I'm not familiar with jpeg's over a meg.

Photoshop has an optimization feature for setting graphics up for the web. This will reduce the total number of colors, adjust compression, etc... However - more basic than that - you should size the picture to the exact size it is supposed to appear. Like if you want it to appear roughly an inch, you should make the file 72 x 72 ppi or 96 x 96 ppi. Depending on your working resolution.

MP

Do a web search for "IrfanView". It's a great, free program for image modification.
You would simply put the images you want to downsize in a folder. Open IrfanView, select FILE - ADVANCED BATCH CONVERSION- select the images, go to SET ADVANCED OPTIONS, set the dimensions or percent size you want, select an output folder, press START and away you go.
It takes less time to do than to explain.
There are also a bunch of free thumbnail generators available that will take your downsized images and generate a complete web page of thumbnails. All you have to do is then upload the page or pages to your website.
CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back