Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joins and subqueries

Status
Not open for further replies.

SergeS

MIS
Aug 14, 2002
Hi all,

I would like to know something about main queries and subqueries.

I've got 3 tables: A, B and C.
The 3 tables have got the same PK, each composed of three attributes.

Table B contains all possible combinations and is the leading table.

The cardinalities are as follows:

A -> B = 1:1
B -> A = 0:N

C -> B = 1:1
B -> C = 0:N

I want to create a list which shows a value from A and a value from C for all rows in B. This is simple. It appears that some combinations between B and C do not exits for A and B and vice versa. When both combinations do exist it is possible that values from A and C are different as well as equal.

Now I want to create a list that only shows the differences between A and C meaning:
combinations of A and B not existing for B and C;
combinations of C and B not existing for B and A;
combinations of A, C and B but different values in A and C (the values should be the same).

When I am adding filters or calculations the first two differences are not shown, or showing duplicate rows.

So I was think, I should use subqueries. How can I use subqueries and create one list with the PK from B and the missing or existing corresponding values from A and C?

Thanks in advance,

Serge

Hi Serge,

your filter probably looks like this:
Code:
 a.value <> c. value

Extend it to
Code:
 (a.value <> c. value) or
(a.value is null     and c.value is not null) or
(a.value is not null and c.value is null)

Make sure the tables B, A und B, C are outer joined.

Best,
Clemens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back