Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joining two sites with routers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 2, 2002
GB
I am currently working for a company based on 2 sites using a networking range of 10.10.10.1 - 10.10.10.255. (255.255.255.0). The 2 sites are joined by a BT leased line so currently no routing. Straight into the network switches. All data is flooding this leased line and i wish to speed things up. My question is i wish to create 2 new networks, 10.10.10.1 and 10.10.20.1 and connect using routers to manage the data. How do i do this? Do i have one router on one site hadling the traffic, or 2 routers, one at either end? Also, how do i pluge the routers in to the switches and configure my clients correctly? Many thanks for your help and guidance.

What is the topology of your network like? What is the speed of your network? How fast are the switches? You may want to use one as an access point. What kind of routers are you using?

Maria Santella
Technical Sales Engineer
ICP DAS USA, Inc.

We have 100 people running 100 Mbit/s and 1 Gbit/s network cards serviced by 1 Gbit/s switches at present. The two main switches on each site are linked by a dedicated leased line (in effect like a long crossover cable). I have no routers on site at present. Need advice on what is best and how to configure.

If your existing switches are Layer3-capable, then you may not need a router.
What mgr/model switches are you using?

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Thanks for all your help. Think i have resolved the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back