Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joining excel columns after each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooby99

Technical User
Apr 16, 2016
SE
Hi,

I have several excelfiles containing data in column A and B.

I would like to have a vbs script joining all of them in a summary file, so that first file goes into column A and B. Next excel file column go into C and D and so on.

Thankful for any help

Hi,

Welcome to Tek-Tips.

Can you explain how joining data from several Excel workbooks in the way you describe is a useful summary? And how will this summary be used?

How many workbooks are there?

Does your data in columns A & B have headings?

Do all the workbooks contain the same number of rows of data?

Is the data is these various workbooks related in some way?

Can you post a small sample of the data from each of these workbooks?

Do you want this summary data in a new workbook?

Is there a reason that you need to preform this task via VBScript rather than in Excel using VBA?

What code have you generated so far?

Please provide an answer to each of these questions.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Hi and thank you!

The purpose of joining the data is of prep-work character, and will be used in another program. My job is to provide the data from my system.

The number of workbooks is 13 and they all have headings.

Column A and B in each separate workbook are all related where "Date" is in col A and "value" is in col B.

The workbooks contain the same number of rows and follow the number of workdays there is in a month.

Sample would be

Date Value
YYYYMMDD 100
YYYYMMDD 101
YYYYMMDD 103

The summary should be in a new workbook, yes.

The reason why i want it in VBS is because I can use the taskscheduler to run it at any time depending on when the workbooks are created.

I dont have any code so far. Ive been looking at some code where they are joining excel files using the same columns.

Thank you

So you're looking for a turnkey solution? A freebie?

You're going to need to do some of the heavy lifting. If you cannot code, then you're in over your head. You'll get some really good TIPS here, but not if your expecting someone else to do all the work.

Skip,
[sub]

If you dont wanna help thats fine. Nobody is holding a gun to your head. [rednose]

I'll help anyone who puts in some effort.

Your move.

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back