Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joining Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

oakeyes

Programmer
Oct 26, 2000
AE
Hi,
I have a win2k advanced server that acts a domain controller in a domain called union.co.ae. The name of the domain controller is union. When i try to connect a win2k pro to it, i can not. Althought i write the name of the domain, which is union to in the domain box. My friend did the same thigs but using a .com way, and it worked. Is it possible that the .co.ae is the problem.
Note: there is another domani controller joined to this domain, which accepted the .co.ae without problems.
Note: the client only has DNS, and does not have a WIN service on it.
Note: the client is DHCP enabled.
Note: when i ping ip of the domain controller it works, but when i ping the name it does not work.

Please, if you have any hints, reply to this thread, this an academic project that should finish in a number of days. so any help is appreciated.

thanks.

On your client boxes, rightclick on 'my computer', select 'properties', look at 'network identification'
Make sure the full computer name uses the xxx.domainname.com
(FQDN)
Click on properties, then choose more, and type union.co.ae
If you restart your computer, it will be using the union.co.ae as default suffix, and thus you will be able to ping your server by it's netbios name...
And it is also possible that this will solve your logon problem
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Hello -

I have been working on a similar issue with joining the domain. This is what I discovered to work. I did not put any more than the name of the domain in the box for joining at first. What I had to do was go to the tcp/ip settings and add the IP of the domain controller and an alternate IP number. The alternate CAN be the same as the first. Then when I tried to join, it had no problem at all.

I hope this helps.... good luck,

C. M. Sturgeon
Systems Admin
CIS Instructor
Lee University
Cleveland, TN

Finally, i discovered what was the problem. Even thought the DNS was not functioning well, but the problem was not related to that. I could not join the professional with the server because i enabled IPSEC (Clients repond only) on the client, which caused all these problems!!!

Now, after i disabled the IPSEC, it joined the domain.
Regarding the DNS, i do not know what happened, it is worse now. I removed all the zones, and reconfigured them, but since then, i faced another problem. In the forward lookup, i used to have two 'folders' one has a dot, and another one has domain name. Now, i only have the domain name!, in addition, when i right click on the server name, and click on the properties, monitroing tab and test, the recursive query fails, thought when i ping computer name from another server it functions well, cabling is working,but recursive test fails.

In addition, in the even viewer, DNS field, there is a warning messge that is generated each 2 minutes, saying that there was a packed forwarded from the server to itself, which should not happen. It says that there is a configuratin error!

Moreover, when i start the computer, i get an error saying 'at least one device or service failed during startup check even viewer...' and when i check the event viewer, i do not undestand the problem. Shall i remove the zones, and reinstall them again???? or shall i remove the whole DNS and install it again, thought active directory depends on it. Any solutions?

The Smart Ant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back