Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joining domain with AD ANothe DC in Existing Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasmjaso

MIS
May 23, 2001
US
My home network is comprise of windows 2k machine some linux also. Right now I have a situation that been holding back from learning. My first dc is name NYCDC, the root domain is win2k.local. I have problems with joining the domain using AD with a member server I would like to join the existing domain. I always get an error, "Fail finding a suitable domain controller for the win2k.local". Also the other error is "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted". Tell me what is wrong DNS isn’t going out to any site to gather information what do I need to do to have another server join an existing domain as a domain controller, an additional domain controller. I’m I missing some thing in DNS or what? Any other machine can join the domain (Workstations) it fine. Remember I want this machine be join under the root, not a child! Please help, tell me what I’m not doing, or what I’m doing wrong.

I'm not sure I totally understand. You have a Windows 2000 domain set up. Now, you want a stand alone Windows 2000 server to join the domain.

When you try to join the domain from the Windows 2000 server, you get an error saying that the domain can not be found...?

Please provide more information. In the mean time, check out this error...maybe its the same one your having:

hope this helps Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company requires experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

I want to join the domain with a server as another DC in the domain. I want to set it up as my Exchange server for the domain. I get the error telling me it cannot be found (Domain)I don't want a child domain. I want this machine to sit under the existing domain as DC, and I get that error when I try dcpromo. Please help

Why don't you add the new server to the existing Windows 2000 domain as a member server. Once the server is part of the domain, run DCPROMO to install AD stuff? Add exchange...etc. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

That is exactly what I did, and it still gives me the error.
I don't know if it's a DNS problem or what, there is no error in the event view for the DNS. I do get an NETLOGON event in the event view. Please help!!

Ok...so your new server has joined the pre-existing domain without any problems.

The next step is to install Active Directory. Where is your DNS services installed? On another DC? Make sure that your new server has the correct TCP/IP settings. Make sure that on the new server under TCP/IP properties that the IP address of the Windows 2000 domain DNS server is listed.

Can you ping the DC? by servername.domainname.com? Also try to use NSLOOKUP to determine that DNS is working properly.

You may want to verify that the NEW server can be seen in the DNS database. If not, you may want to add it.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

My DC is also my DNS server, I've done a diag. My DNS isn't register but remeber my domain is local win2k.local. Do you think this is my problem, I made a entry in the DNS database of my server with it IP. I'm trying to set this up so that I can pass the 70-240 exam, this have been my stumbling block (NETLOGON in event viewer, DNS, and adding another DC in an existing domain)Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong. It's fraustrating when I can join a domain with a memeber server then run AD an cannot join an existing domain, it seen like it's pointing to DNS and the NETLOGON I don't know were to start. Please help!!!!

Set a default gateway on the server wanting to join, pointing to the existing AD DC.

Still not working have the problem of adding another dc in the domain.

Have you tried backing out of the domain back to a workgroup, then run dcpromo.exe and join the domain as an addditional DC?

Thank alot I fix this myself just doing some reading. All your suggestion where very helpful. I just started from scratch, and added the the machine as regular server then did dcpromo it worked along with doing so changes in the dns. thanks will be speaking with guys soon I know I can count on you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back