Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joining AD domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superd04

Technical User
Aug 9, 2005
FR
Hi, i am relatively new to windows server 2003 and i'm studying for an MCSE. I have set up a 2003 machine as a new domain controller.. and have two other machines (all connected via switch), that i would like to join the newly created domain. All machines can ping each other but when trying to join the 2nd and 3rd machines to new domain, its gives error message unable to find domain controller abc.com.. obviously theres a problem with the active directory setup on domain controller, can anyone advise on some obvious places to start looking to try get AD up and running?? cheers guys

In your test setup, did you configure dns on your DC and set your clients to use the dns server?

---------------------------------------
Bob Beck
Systems Administrator

Yes dns configured on domain controller and as far as im aware i configured clients to use this dns server. How do i make sure clients are configured correctly for dns server?

If you're using dhcp, check the dhcp settings to ensure you set the dns server properly. If using static ip addresses, check your tcp/ip settings on the client for the dns server setting.

---------------------------------------
Bob Beck
Systems Administrator

99% of the times, its the DNS...........either:

1. not up and running.
2. not being advertised to the client

or, when you are entering the domain name on the clients when trying to join, if its abc.com, just try abc and it should work also........

seems to be working now guys.. tanx so much :)

Cheers again guys..
While on the subject of DNS, just wondering how i get my main domain controller (in the DNS forward and reverse lookup zones), to display records of the two clients that ive just joined to my new domain. They ARE pointing to my domain controller when doing an nslookup on clients.. but my DNS records are not showing records for these clients. I know it can be done manually but my notes say it should create DNS records after joining main domain??
Thank in advance again guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back