Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joining A Win NT 4 Server Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don79

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2001
US
Hi Guys,

I have a question. In articles I have read on the internet, they always say to first join a Win NT 4 machine to a workgroup(having the same name of the Domain you would like to join later), and then joining the machine to the Domain. Is this method correct? I have been doing this for the past 6 machines, and have experienced NIC problems, such as intermittant connections to the network. I'm not sure if the NIC problem is related to how I am joining the computer to the domain. Every new machine I have had from Compaq has had the same NIC problem. Any ideas? Can't I just join the Domain without first joining it to a workgroup? Please advise. Thanks!

You should be able to join your Domain directly without doing the workgroup thing. Be sure that you have the administrator username and password or an admin profile on the server prior to joining to the Domain, as you will be prompted to provide this info as Authorizing the addition. I can't remember the exact Prompt but something like "What Username (and password) authorizes this function."
Hope this helps,
E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back