Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joining a Table to itself... with a twist

Status
Not open for further replies.

axl169

MIS
May 8, 2008
US
Hello,
I am working on a union with two views created from a join. Due to a bug in out db, we are unable to do full outer joins. Anyway, I have one table with 4 fields I am interested in. Sales_Rep, Month, Year, and amount. I am trying to created a view that will pull back selected year information and last year information in a column next to it.

For instance, sales rep 1, sold to Nike, Puma, and Adidas in 2007 for $100, and in 2008, they sold to Nike, Puma, and Reebok for $200. Is there anyway to create SQL that will have my output look something like this if I search for Sales Rep 1 for 2008?

Rep 1 | Nike | $100 |$200
Rep 1 | Puma | $100 |$200
Rep 1 | Adidas | $100 |
Rep 1 | Reebok | |$200

Thank you all in advance.

axl169 said:
...Due to a bug in out db, we are unable to do full outer joins.

Quick! get rid of that DB.

On the other hand, what have you got coded up to now? [3eyes]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

We are using Oracle, forget what version, but it does not allow full outer joins on views. I think I found a work around. Thank you for everyone's help regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back