Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joining a domain to an existing domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivs7720

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2004
US
Hi,

I finally have a system with 1 server and two clients. I am planning to join this on an existing domain. What do I need to do so I will not screw up our existing domain, especially email and website? Do I need a dhcp and dns on my system even tough the existing domain has those services? I just want to make sure that by joining my system domain to existing domain will not in any way disrupt any services at all.

Thank you in advance!

It is not possible to "join" two domains together i am affraid.

Domains are uniquie entities and cannot be merged or joined in any such way.

If you are talking about setting up a trust between your new domain & the existing one then you will need to retain DNS as the AD relies on it to function but if you are on the same physical networmk you will not need DHCP.

Post back with more info about what you are trying to acheive and we can try to help.

Hi MikeBatters,

This is a test domain for my mcse cert. What I am trying to do is to establish this domain along with our existing forest (domain) but I do not want to screw up any services on our existing domain. Is "trust what I am trying to accomplish here. Not familiar the word "trust" in technology terms. I am pretty new to this and I would like to ask people who has been in this field.

This test domain will be on the same physical network but different domain. Again I am trying to practice on this network and using the windows server 2003 kit for the exercise.

Also, I would like to access this domain from home using remote desktop unless you have any suggestion.

Thank you for your time MikeBAtters and hope to hear from you soon.

OK.

What you need to do is look at the "Active Directory Domains & Trust" console. You can establish a Trust between the two domains so that users can access resources from the other domain without having to re-authanticate.

The Microsoft Help files on Trust are a pretty good explaination of the system. You would be best off removing DHCP from you test server(s) betfore putting them on the same LAN as the live Domain but you will need to leave DNS intact on the Test Servers for the Active Directoy to remain functional.

Once you have established the Trust you will be able to grant Share & File System access rights on the test server using Groups from you Live domain and the same in reverse.

I hope that answers you question. post back if you want more info.

I do not think it needs to be this complex of a setup but I will do so because that is my objective is to practice on this system, however in a safe manner so I will not screw our current system. Originally, this two domains will be connected to the same physical network but autonomous to each other, they do not need to see share folders or anything like that but I will do what you suggested to experience doing it and learning from it.

One of my objective also is to connect to my test domain via remote desktop which will be accomplished when I connect this test domain on our existing domain.

I will post anything if I encountered problems.

Thank you, MikeBatters!

To have the two systems on the same physical network just plug it oin and remove DHCP.

Try the Trusts bit though becuase it will be interesting for you.

As for the remote desktop are you building Windows 2000 or 2003 server?

windows 2003. I will use terminal services to come in our existing domain because I am setup right now and then I will connect to my test domain Unless you have other suggestions. I do not have public IP for the test domain but I configured it for private IP (static) within this test domain. I am not sure if I can connect to my test domain without public IP.

If you can get a conenction to somthing on the network already you be able to establish terminals services first, then have a "Terminal Services inside Terminal Services" session without any problems.

Regards

Someone else always has a better answer!

[yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back