Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joining 3 tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag1060

Programmer
Aug 26, 2011
US
Hello,

I'm trying to join three tables with mysql and php. So far, I have this:
Code:
select username,psummary
FROM subscribers join users_db
ON subscribers.uid = users_db.uid 
join projects
ON users_db.uid = projects.uid
AND subscribers.sub_user='1'

When I run the code, it only returns one result, instead of all results....any idea?

Thanks in advance

Hi, maybe the problem is that you are missing data in some of the other tables?

You can check this with:
Code:
SELECT count(*) FROM subscribers WHERE subscribers.uid NOT IN (SELECT uid FROM users_db) AND subscribers.sub_user='1' 
SELECT count(*) FROM subscribers WHERE subscribers.uid NOT IN (SELECT uid FROM projects) AND subscribers.sub_user='1' 
SELECT count(*) FROM subscribers WHERE subscribers.uid NOT IN (SELECT uid FROM users_db) AND subscribers.sub_user='1'

ps. It's still morning here in Norway, so they might produce some errors :p

If only one of them returns 1 row, it means that you only have one row in one of the other tables that match your criteria. With natural joins, you will only see what get's a match in the other joined tables. If you wish to show subscribers that are not in projects or in users_db, you have to have outer joins :)

However, should your users_db be the "inner" table in the outer join? (As I believe they have to be users to be in a project or be a subscriber?).

Olav Alexander Mjelde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back