Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

join workgroup with code or switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdttek

Technical User
May 8, 2002
US
I have several users that belong to several different Access workgroups, each giving them different access rights to different databases.

Is there any way to automatically join / assign the appropriate work group when opening the access DB? This wld be for both 97 and 2000.

Thanks

JDTTEK

Give them a shortcut for each database they open. This is the "preferred" way.

Thanks for quick reply.

I have done that already. Problem is, each DB is tied to different workgroup with each user's securtity defined differently for each. I need to have join to correct workgroup happen automatically when DB is opened rather than have user have to go into WorkGrpAdmin (eg system.mdw, creditadmin.mdw, collections.mdw, etc) to select workgroup each time.

Thanks
JDTTEK

What I meant is put the workgroup information in the shortcut. Examples are best, so here's one of my shortcuts:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Msaccess.exe" "C:\atemp\trn\Training Records Database.mdb" /wrkgrp "c:\atemp\trn\trn.mdw"

--
Find common answers using Google Groups:

Corrupt MDBs FAQ

Thanks foolio12. T
His very helpful. Is the shortcut the shortcut on the desk top? Where wld I put this if I just wanted to do on open of the DB? Or do I always need to build the shortcut?

This is the deal. To use a "non-default" workgroup, which you seem to have several separate workgroups, right? To use a custom workgroup (like one of your several), the easiest way is to make a shortcut that opens the specific database MDB file AND the corresponding workgroup file. This is what I'm saying.

So for EACH of your several database MDB files, create a shortcut. Right-click on the desktop, New->Shortcut. The example above works for me; you will obviously have to modify the above line to get it to work for you.

If you want to see exactly what I mean, you can check out my "Copy shortcut to desktop" example database--incidentally, it uses a custom workgroup and a shortcut. The site is

If you need specific help, maybe there's help on how to create a shortcut in your Windows documentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back