Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Join Two internal networks 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yardyy

Technical User
Aug 13, 2002
GB
Hi, What would the easiest way be to join two internal networks together, basically, we have a 10.0.0.1, and a 192.168.77.1 network, and i would like everybody to communucate with each other. The main network is the 10.0.0.1, which has all the mail servers, DC, and fileserver, no servers are expected to be put in the 192.168.77.1. just workstations.

Many Thanks
Yurov Ardyy

Not the way they communicate, which is the ENTIRE purpose of VLANS!

Burt

Burt,
Look up any source you want. RFCs, HP, Cisco, even Wikipedia if you must. VLANs are layer 2. If your personal definition doesn't agree with standards, that's your problem.

There's no point beating a dead horse, so I have nothing else to say on the subject.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Okee dokee...agreed. I do know they are layer 2, but what's the use of a vlan if they can't be routed? That's all I'm saying---a layer 3 switch is a layer 3 switch, and from what brian was saying, I agree---what exactly ARE layer 3 "capabilities"??? That would suggest to me IP, which is how vlans communicate...so what's the point of configuring vlans in a switch that has these supposed "layer 3 capabilities", but can't route the vlans??? That is all I'm saying...GO CISCO!

Burt

IP based ACLs are a layer 3 capability built-in to some of the Procurve layer 2 switches.

BTW, I've never had any reason to route a VLAN. I keep my network designs simpler and cleaner than that. I know that Cisco pushes the practice; all the better to sell more overpriced and overspec'ed equipment.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Touché...lol
ACL's that filter traffic...probably from something to something, probably IP addresses. Ok---you have 2 vlans in an HP ProCurve, and acl's that filter ftp traffic from going to VLAN 2, let's say. Great...now how does ANY traffic go from vlan 2 to vlan 1? Unless vlan 2 contains nothing but nodes that never have to communicate outside of their own vlan...routing from a vlan to another subnet (or vlan) is what I meant...

HP SWITCH
| |
| |
| |
VL1 VL2

VL1=1.1.1.0/24, ports 1 through 6
VL2=2.2.2.0/24, ports 7 through 12

How do you get from vlan 1 to vlan 2, or from vlan 1 or 2 past the switch?

Burt

It works just like Cisco kit does, Burt. You have to have a layer 3 device to do routing.

If those VLANs are on layer 2 switches, you will have to stick a router in the loop. Regardless of whether you bought that layer 2 switch from HP or Cisco or D-link or Dell or Black Box or (insert the vendor of your choice here).

If those VLANs are on layer 3 switches then you won't need an additional router (again, regardless of manufacturer).

getting back to the question.
I think the guy is looking for a simple solution.

the server option with two nics would work but you need to make sure you allow IPforwarding (otherwise it wont alow you to route between nics)
Microsoft doc on how to do this

you say you dont know how to change from a class c to a class b network
on the 10.0.0.1 you will have a subnet mask 255.255.255.0
if you change this on all your machines to 255.255.0.0 then you can add servers / PC's in the range 10.0.1.0 to 10.0.255.255

so you can have
10.0.0.x Servers
10.0.10.x Printers
10.0.20.x PC's
as long as they all use 255.255.0.0 they will speak to each other.

default gateway will stay the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back