Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Join Third Table Based on Join Between Two Other Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltraSmooth

Programmer
Oct 28, 2002
CA
I need to make a join between 3 tables, where the 3rd table is dependent on the join of the first two. Here's an example to elaborate,

Table A
A.col1
A.col2
A.colN

Table B
B.col1
B.col2
B.col3
B.colN

Table C
C.col1
C.col2
C.col3
C.colN

I need col1 from table A, col2 from table B and col3 from table C.

Table A and B are joined on col1. Table C is related to table A on col1 and table C is related to table B on col2. What's the most efficient way to write this query? So far I have something that looks like this (but is not working quite right):

SELECT A.col1,B.col2,C.col3
FROM A
JOIN B
ON A.col1=B.col1
JOIN C
ON C.col1=A.col1
AND C.col2=B.col2

When I add in the join with table C my result set returns more records than it should. Of course my real world example has a lot more columns but basically this is what I'm doing. Table C requires the join on tables A and B to get the columns it needs to join.

Am I on the right track? Is it not the proper way to make this join?

Thanks for any help!

yes, that is the proper way to join them

i can't help you figure out why you're getting too many rows, because i have no idea what the col1/col2 columns actually mean, and you did not reveal what the one-to-many relationships between your tables are

r937.com | rudy.ca
Buy my new book Simply SQL from Amazon

Thanks for you feedback. At least I know I'm on the right track with the join structure.

I believe the reason I'm getting more records than I should is due to what you mentioned, the one-to-many relationships. Table A has a one-to-many relationship with tables B and C. I'll do some more testing and see what I can figure out.

Table A has a one-to-many relationship with tables B and C.
more testing isn't going to fix this

you can't return two one-to-many sets in the same query without cross join effects

try two separate queries

r937.com | rudy.ca
Buy my new book Simply SQL from Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back