Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

join table

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac555

Technical User
Nov 6, 2007
US
Let's say there are Customers Table and Orders Table. There are several customer types. I want to get the rows from 2 tables with the following conditions: All customers rows with of particular customer types (ex. 1 and 2) and their associated orders for a specified date range. If I used this statement " Select cust.field1, cust.field2, ord.* from customers cust left join orders ord on cust.id=ord.id where (cust.type=1 or cust.type=2) and ord.date>='01-01-2010' " then it will not include all the customers without order records. If I leave out the date condition then I will get the customers rows with no order records but then it will include too many order records outside the date range. How (is it possible) do I accomplish this in one statement ?

Change the keyword "where" to "and". Trust me. Try it. If it works for you, then do a google search on "left join acts like and inner join".

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Changed "Where" to "and" didn't quite work but
I changed the statement to "Select cust.field1, cust.field2, ord.* from customers cust left join orders ord on cust.id=ord.id and ord.date>='01-01-2010' where (cust.type=1 or cust.type=2)" worked.
Now I need to figure out how to get the same query result in Crystal report. Anyone have some tips ? :)

Thanks everyone for the the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back