Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Join Results of Two Queries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VikR0003

Programmer
Nov 30, 2007
US
I have two queries. Each of them works correctly by itself. I need to join the results.

I thought I might use SELECT AS to join the results. Here is the current mySQL syntax:

-----
SELECT * from new_alloys_added_by_users left join ratings_for_fz_scores on new_alloys_added_by_users.Alloy_ID_No = ratings_for_fz_scores.Alloy_ID_No AS NewAlloysAndRatings

SELECT *
FROM user_prefs_for_alloys
JOIN new_alloys_added_by_users ON user_prefs_for_alloys.Alloy_ID_No = new_alloys_added_by_users.Alloy_ID_No
WHERE (user_prefs_for_alloys.id = 1)
AND (user_prefs_for_alloys.Alloy_ID_No >0)
AS UserPrefsAndNewAlloys

SELECT *
from NewAlloysAndRatings JOIN UserPrefsAndNewAlloys on NewAlloysAndRatings.Alloy_ID_No = UserPrefsAndNewAlloys.Alloy_ID_No
-----

As I noted, the queries are working fine. I just need to find the correct way to join them. When I run this code, I get this error message:

> You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server
> version for the right syntax to use near 'AS NewAlloysAndRatings' at line 1

How can I correct this? Thanks very much in advance to all for any info.

I am certainly no expert in this area, but I would initially think a VIEW would solve this.

johnwm, since select as is not the correct approach, what would be the correct approach to joining these two queries?

d0nny, I will research VIEW now.

Thanks very much in advance to all for any info.

I think I just got it working using Views. Very cool!

Code:
CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW NewAlloysPlusRatings AS 
SELECT  brand_name, date_added, description, new_alloys_added_by_users.Alloy_ID_No, fz_score, id_of_user_who_added_this, id_of_user_who_provided_this_rating, let_other_people_use_this_info, Long_Desc, product_name, rating_was_a_plus
from new_alloys_added_by_users left join ratings_for_fz_scores on new_alloys_added_by_users.Alloy_ID_No = ratings_for_fz_scores.Alloy_ID_No ;

CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW UserPrefsPlusNewAlloys AS 
SELECT id, NDB_No, min, max, final_amount, user_prefs_for_alloys.Alloy_ID_No
 JOIN new_alloys_added_by_users ON user_prefs_for_alloys.Alloy_ID_No = new_alloys_added_by_users.Alloy_ID_No
 AND (user_prefs_for_alloys.Alloy_ID_No >0);

SELECT *
 from NewAlloysPlusRatings JOIN UserPrefsPlusNewAlloys on NewAlloysPlusRatings.Alloy_ID_No = UserPrefsPlusNewAlloys.Alloy_ID_No;

d0nny, thanks very much for this suggestion!

Only too glad to help.
As I say, I am not an expert in this area and I'm sure there are guys on this board who have forgotten more about mySQL than I know, but I've used Views in the past to create data that 'feels' dynamic, with very good results.

SELECT * from new_alloys_added_by_users left join ratings_for_fz_scores on new_alloys_added_by_users.Alloy_ID_No = ratings_for_fz_scores.Alloy_ID_No AS NewAlloysAndRatings

SELECT *
AS UserPrefsAndNewAlloys

SELECT *
from NewAlloysAndRatings JOIN UserPrefsAndNewAlloys on NewAlloysAndRatings.Alloy_ID_No = UserPrefsAndNewAlloys.Alloy_ID_No

First off, i've been taught that it's very bad SQL to use "select *" for a repeated query. Reason being, table structures change and you can throw things off pretty badly when that happens and you've chosen that route.

I am no expert on MySQL at all, but for TSQL you would use

select new_alloys_added_by_users.*, user_prefs_for_alloys.*
from new_alloys_added_by_users join ratings_for_fz_scores on
on new_alloys_added_by_users.Alloy_ID_No = ratings_for_fz_scores.Alloy_ID_No
join
new_alloys_added_by_users ON user_prefs_for_alloys.Alloy_ID_No = new_alloys_added_by_users.Alloy_ID_No

Not knowing what columns there are in each table, you could pare this down by choosing only the relevant columns from each table. More typing, but less work by the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back