Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

join domain now outlook message "cannot start MS Outlook"

Status
Not open for further replies.

msteder

Technical User
Jan 30, 2003
US
I have recently joined my computer (Win 2K Pro) to a new domain (Win 2003). Joining the domain worked perfectly. I then logged back into the local machine and copied my profile to my domain profile. I logged back into the domain and I opened Microsoft Outlook and got the following error message "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook" My outlook is connecting to a .pst on another machine that is part of the domain. My user is part of the domainusers group and the .pst has full control for my user. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

try this approach. Instead of mapping to your .pst, login to the domain and create a NEW pst. If you're able to do this then you'll have to its obviously an issue w/ that particular PST file. Check the permission on it as well. good luck.

Outlook would still open if there wasn't a .pst or it couldn't access the .pst. Currently I can't even get outlook to open.

Sounds like your profile copying didn't work or you changed its name. Outlook by default saves your .pst under your proflie name. So if the profile name changes in anyway the path will be wrong. Set your view settings so you can see hidden files then do a search for *.pst.

I think Joes on the money - its most likely the Application Data folder hasn't been copied over. This holds the Outlook settings.

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

In the end, I logged into the local machine and exported the .pst file. I took the user out of the domain. Uninstalled and Reinstalled Outlook. Joined the domain, setup Outlook and imported the .pst file. That worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back