Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Join Domain - Endpoint Mapper Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

flip31

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2001
US
For fifty points and a chance to move to the bonus round, what the * is a endpoint mapper. Anyway. Here goes.

I have been trying to get a windows xp pro. machine to connect to our domain. I get a valid IP address, and it shows the domain in the listing, but when I try and log into the domian it says it can't be found. So I log in locally to the computer and go and change the network id. I rename the computer, and tell it to join the domain. And I get an error that states:

The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "suomi"
There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper.

Anyway, If you could shed some light on this dark and mysterious subject for me I would be most appreciative. I have searched all over finding nothing that seems to help. All of the results from searching pertain to an actual DNS server, but I am just trying to get a workstation participating in the network!

Thanks
Frustrated

This indicates that a port needed to join the domain is being blocked by a firewall. Do you have the XP firewall enabled? If so turn it off. If not, you may need to restart the RPC Service on the DC, or the server may be under attack, OR there may be a firewall in between you and the server blocking you.

As to your question on what the Endpoint mapper is...

The RPC Endpoint Mapper process listens on TCP/IP port 135. The RPC endpoint mapper allows RPC clients to determine the port number currently assigned to a particular RPC service.

I appreciate the help. I will make sure I check into it. Thanks again.

Phil

I am experiencing the same problem. I checked to make sure that the XP firewall is disabled as markdmac suggested.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Are you getting any error messages? What do your event logs show?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Enable the firewall to resolve this issue. You can disable it afterwards if you choose.

Solution: Turn the Firewall Service back on.
1. Click on start>Run
2. Type in Services.msc
3. Click OK
4. Locate the Windows Firewall in the list of Services
5. Right click on the Windows Firewall Service and choose properties.
6. Change the startup type to Manual
7. reboot and test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back