Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Join computer to domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowrad

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2007
Hello.

I have this problem with joining computers to a domain that's just called "Domain" not "Domain.ad or Domain.local" I didn't set it up but can someone help a little?

2003, XP, AD, DNS. Accounts/groups can be created, DC can be pinged and everything works except joining the client to the Domain.

Patrik

what messages to you get when you try and add to the domain?

Like grabrail says - what are the errors?

I've never had a problem joining to domain rather than domain.local.

You also find that if your domain is called domain.local you can join with just domain.

There isn't another workstation with the same name on the network is there?

Hmmm. Missed the kinda important part ;)

And the thing is.... it's just called "Domain".

The #(¤/%¤ who built it didn't bother to add the .local or .ad. to the name.

Here's the message:

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your
network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information,
which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The domain name mydomain might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify
that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following
information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to
locate a domain controller for domain mindomän:

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.mindomän

The following domain controllers were identified by the query:

minserver.mindomän

Common causes of this error include:

- Host (A) records that map the name of the domain controller to its IP addresses are
missing or contain incorrect addresses.

- Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or are not
running.

For information about correcting this problem, click Help .

I'd check the DNS was correct for the domain controllers - it's worth checking just to be sure.

From there it's a case of reading I guess, I've not come across this but I've got a 2003 reference book on my desk - I'll have a quick read over lunch and see if I can figure it out for you.

Have you got the output from C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt or is that what you pasted to the thread (I'm assuming so but worth checking).

Jonathan

Jonathan Haddock
Assistant Network Manager
Barton Court Grammar School

Also what you might try is from each workstation open a CMD window and do ipconfig /all
Check the IP's of everything especially the DNS server.
Then do ipconfig /registerdns

It may take a few minutes. After that try joining again with administrator credentials.

The computer name is ok.

DNS looks ok. But I'll Google some questionmarks.

I feel like uninstalling DNS and reinstall it during the weekend. Has anyone done it and gotten away with it without problem on Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back