Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jobs spool, but don't print on an HP Color LJ 2600n 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadwSrch

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2005
US
The 2600n is on the network. I am using a Windows 2003 Server box as a print server. The printer is installed as a local printer with a Standard TCP/IP port.

When I print from the server, everything is fine.

When I print from a workstation to this printer share logged on as anyone...Admins included, the jobs spool to the queue, but never make it to the printer. The jobs show in the queue when I open the printer.

The size column when looking at the queue just gives the size of the job, and no "/" character followed by how much is sent to the printer.

The status says Printing...no error ever comes up...it just says there.

I can not ever delete the first print job.

From this point on, all other jobs line up behind the first.

If I restart the spooler on the Windows 2003 Server Machine, all print jobs go to the printer.

I have one other printer working from this server, and there are no problems with it at all. It is an HP LaserJet 4050.

Maybe you can help me...some conclusions that I have reached that may very well be flawed:
1. It does not seem to be a rights issue on the spooling folder because everyone can print to this other printer.

2. It does not seem to be a communication error between the server and the printer because I can print from the server to the printer as long as the queue has not been clogged by a remote job, and all waiting jobs print as soon as the spooler is restarted.

3. It does not seem to be a driver issue for the reason mentioned in Conclusion 2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I have worked on this for quite some time at this point.

Not sure whether or not this may be relevant.

The LJ2600 is a 'host-based' printer, which means that it requires an appropriate 'host-based' driver (where all of the rendering is done on the host PC rather than on the printer).

But I think it might also rely on a direct bi-directional link between the sender (i.e. your workstation) and the printer - which, going via a server, is presumably not present.

It may be worth looking up the specification & support documents for this printer on the HP web site, to check whether or not this printer is supported via a print server.

Might try installing the driver on each workstation.
As DDUK said, host based is this units "brains". Each job needs the client control.

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

So what we are saying is that even though I can log in to the server and send jobs, and even though I can restart the spooler and send jobs that other users have sent to the queue, that it is impossible to use this printer off of a print server?

Can someone give me some insight as to why that is?

It was my understanding that on these printers, the machine uses the driver to render the job, and then sends the rendered data in a stream to the spooler. The spooler saves the rendered job in a file that it then keeps in a file queue.

The spooler then sends each already processed job in turn to the printer.

If that is how the process works, this isn't a case of the job not being rendered, but the job not being sent to the printer.

Do I misunderstand the process?

When I load the Driver onto an XP workstation it sends the job to a queue, and it never starts either...The Difference here is that when I restart the queue, the job does not go.

Suggestions?

Can you try by-passing the server? Print off the web browser page. Dont use a server, just direct to the network.

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

ShadwSrch,

I had the exact same problem as you with the 2600n. I think I just solved it.

Here is what I did on the printers properties-page on the server:

- Uncheck "Enable bidirectional support" under the Ports-tab.

- Choose "Start print after last page is spooled" under the Advanced-tab.

It looks like that is the thing. I have only tried for an hour now but it still works.

Rgs,
Johan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back