Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jobs show only "Queued" Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteffenSeitz

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2004
DE
Hello all,

i´ve got the following Problem with Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 for Windows Server.

every job, wich is started "Run Now" goes into the "QUEUED" Staus. If i do an inventory of the tape, this job goes to "active" status. But this job is running forever if i didn´t cancel it.

I had a look at the veritas knowledgebase without success.

Here is the configuration of my server:

SBS 2000 (complete installed)
one DAT (DSS4) Streamer
one Ultrium Streamer (200GB)both drives are HP drives

1. we installed the Veritas software in an MSDE Database, but there is also an fully-qualified SQL Database running. may the problem caused by an database conflict???

2. in addition the old backup software is still running (arcserve)

I ´ve got no SCSI conflicts in the eventlog, no conflicts or active messanges in the veritas log.

I´ve got no idea lhoe to resolve this problem.

thanks and regards

Steffen

Do you have any alerts in Backup Exec? Is a media available? Use the "Backup-to-Disk" function to check if there is a problem with your tape...

hi TheDonMiguel

i have no alerts in backupveritas, the media is available.
i´ll the last sugsession...

thanks and regads

same issue here. backup to disk works fine. windows backup to tape works fine. be9.1 jobs to tape get stuck in queued. veritas support no help so far, in six weeks on this.

windows 2003 servers (local plus 5 remote), exchange 2003, sql 2000. hp ssl1016 sdlt 16 tape autoloader.

i have gotten a few test jobs to run when set to append rather than overwrite, although all media is marked as overwritable. also got a few things to run by creating dummy media groups and putting scratch media in there... overall, everything was working great for 13 months, then it jsut stopped. i made no changes to the server/software/config, and it just quit.

if it ain't broke, i haven't touched it yet....

oh, anyone have any ideas of how to escalate a support call to veritas? i've been unsuccessful on that so far...

if it ain't broke, i haven't touched it yet....

Hi Steffen and Sunstoned,

I had the same problem (all jobs scheduled, inventory stayed queued). Stopping/starting the services had no result.
But I found the solution on another forum: the tape deviced was PAUSED. After I resumed the deviced alle problems were solved.

Good luck.

greetz, Paul

that was one of the first things i checked. device is okay. jobs run fine when set to append. i can also manually erase a tape so it's in scratch media, and create a bogus media set, and overwrite jobs will run that way. however, i don't want to have to manually erase all my tapes. kind of defeats the purpose of backups...

What is the overwrite protection set to? The overwrite timeframe starts when the backup job ends, which can create this sort of problem. Set the overwrite timeframe for one day shorter than the normal retention period.

No need to erase tapes to go to scratch. Under the media tab locate the tape needing to be scratched and drag it to scratch media. If it doesn't move over, right click the tape, select move media, locate scratch media in the list and click on it. That should move the tape to scratch.

was not a problem with overwrites, they were all overwritable. found out the BE database was corrupt. we had to blow away the database. found that even the default database was corrupt. BE tech sent me a copy of the default database, so i restored from that. i lost all my jobs, media sets, etc, but it resolved the problem. i actually had my backup run last night. fisrt successful automated backup in six weeks. phew!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back