Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jobs never go from 'READY' to 'ACTIVE'

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleaner416

Programmer
Feb 5, 2002
US
Hello,

I am running ARCServe 2000 w/ SP3 on a Win2k PDC. Installed fine, RegisterIT worked fine.

However, whenever I submit a backup job, the job just stays in 'READY' status and never goes 'ACTIVE'. Very frustrating...no error codes no event log entries NADA. Same result with Run Now and for scheduled jobs. All engines run fine, device config runs fine...everything looks ok. I have modified the job in every conceivable way...no dice.

I did a reinstall, same result.

I feel like a dummy. Any ideas?

Any help here would be appreciated I am pulling my hair out. Thanks!!

Henry

have you made sure all of the ARCserve services are up and running? If it is, then try stopping all the engines, going to the arcserve directory and renaming the q00000001.qsd directory. Then start up the engines again. See if this works.

good luck ,
guru

Guru,

Thanks for your response. I do in fact have all of the engines running. Unfortunately the renaming suggestion did not work. However, I have narrowed the problem just a bit:

If I submit the job, turn off all of the engines, and then turn on the engines (incrementally, so that the tape engine is fully running before the job engine starts, otherwise a media connect error occurs) the job trips over to active and runs without a hitch. I am able to reliably replicate this behavior.

Any ideas? I certainly don't want to start and restart engines every night!

Thanks!!!!

Henry

OH Henry,

I have seen this error before in my early days with the product. Hmmmm, buckley's if I remember how to resolve it :) gimme a little time hehehe

can you copy paste some of the log from when you bounce the engines.

Thanks,

guru

Are you submitting the job via terminal services ?

try it from the local console (i.e at the server keyboard) and it may work.

I had exactly the same problem with Arcserve 2000 & SP3 on w2ksp2, there is a fix for this now, look on the CA site for a patch called Qo08105.CAZ

Fixed it for me anyways

Wow. That has got to be it...I am using Terminal Services. I will get in front of the console this weekend and post my findings.

Thanks Guru and eVo!

-OHenry

There is a patch for terminal services on arcserve by the way :)

Hmmm, it's odd. No one mentions they are submitting their jobs via terminal services.

They always think it's seemless :)

Good luck

guru

Well...I just tried it locally and of course everyhting works fine. Terminal Services was the culprit.

Guru - is the patch from CA or MS? Know where to get it?

Lesson learned - TS is *not* seamless.

EVoBoy,

Are you able to REMOTELY monitor your jobs with Terminal Services...seeing the data moving, the speed and the percentage completed?

wamason,

that doesn't seem to work so well.... ;-)

admittedly I only have it on a small test rig, backing up about 600mb to a DLT, just sits on a blank progress dialog box, which goes away when it finishes...

ho hum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back