Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jobs fail when a domain account is the owner. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbomobb

Technical User
May 27, 2003
SE
Hello!

The jobs which has domainaccounts specified as the job owner fails with the following error message:

"The job failed. Unable to determine if the owner (domain\account) of job TestDB backup has server access (reason: Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'domain\account'. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 8198))."

When I run the xp_logoninfo from the queryanalyzer I get the following error:

"Server: Msg 8198, Level 16, State 24, Procedure xp_logininfo, Line 58
Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'domain\account'."

According to Microsoft, state 24 indicates some sort of access problem:

"When the SQL Server engine queried the Windows operating system to retrieve information about a Windows account name, access was denied."

The jobs work just fine when I change the owner to local accounts or native SQL-accounts but what I really what is for it to work under domainaccounts. I've tried starting the SQL-agent with an domain account. I've also tried setting the domainaccount to local admin and ever included them into the system admin role but I didn't get it to work. No doubt this looks like an access problem but I can't understand where and why it fails? Does anyone have a clue?

SQL2k std, w2k3sp1 std

Please excause my poor english.

Is this domian account part of SQL SYSADMIN group. Try to add this account part of local windows Admin group and that should resolve your iussue.

Dr.Sql
Good Luck.

Further to DrSql's good start point, can you check that your SQL server can still see the Domain controller. I know there are a few circumstances that can make this happen, but every time I have had it the server has had problems (even if for a few milliseconds) contating the DC to validate.

M.

Most likely, your SQL Server is not on the same domain as the user's computers and they don't use a common Domain Controller.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Thanks for all replies.

The account has been added to the local administrators group and is a member of the system administrators SQL role, so my conclution is that access is sufficient concerning the local server and the SQL instance.

I ran a couple of tests to try out the servers connectivity to the domain:
C:\>whoami
amfpension\svcsql04

C:\>dsquery user -name svcsql04
"CN=SvcSql04,OU=Services,OU=Accounts,DC=ad,DC=domain,DC=se"

C:\>hostname
SQL04

From this I can tell that I can logon as the user trying to run the job. I can query the Directory for the user account and I'm running it from the computer holding the SQL-server.

These are the some of the groups returned from the gpresult command.

BUILTIN\Administrators
BUILTIN\Users
REMOTE INTERACTIVE LOGON
NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users

The server is a member of the same domain as the dc and they're on the same subnet. When I ping the dc I get fast replies.

Reply from 172.19.55.6: Bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

The server agent i configured to run under a local account who is a member of local administrators group and the system administrators group. Is there a possible problem here?

The server agent i configured to run under a local account who is a member of local administrators group and the system administrators group. Is there a possible problem here?

A local account does not have permissions on the domain. So the local account probably is not authenticating with the domain. Try making the local account a member of the domain.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

On a slightly relevant note I just want to add a quick question. When I set up the Server and Agent accounts, I always use a domain account for both - I don't tend to use local for the Agent as I often need to do "stuff" where the a domain user is required (for access to certain files etc.) so I automatically run both under a domain account whether required or not. Is this bad practice?

Cheers,

M.

Hello and sorry for my absence.

I created a domainaccount which whom I specified as the account to start the SQl Agent with. The account I created is a member of the lokal administrator group and has been granted 'Act as part of operatinve system' rights via the local security policy.

The SQLSERVERAGENT starts just fine but when I try to start a job I get an errormessage saying the server agent isn't started.

When I look in the application event log I get the following messages:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: SQLSERVERAGENT
Event Category: Alert Engine
Event ID: 322
Date: 2006-06-20
Time: 14:49:57
User: N/A
Computer: SQL04
Description:
The data portion of event 17052 from MSSQLSERVER is invalid.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSSQLSERVER
Event Category: (2)
Event ID: 17052
Date: 2006-06-20
Time: 14:49:54
User: N/A
Computer: SQL04
Description:
You do not have sufficient operating system permission to open the SQLServerAgent status event.

Data:
0000: a8 01 00 00 0a 00 00 00 ¨.......
0008: 0c 00 00 00 53 00 51 00 ....S.Q.
0010: 4c 00 30 00 34 00 00 00 L.0.4...
0018: 0e 00 00 00 6d 00 61 00 ....m.a.
0020: 73 00 74 00 65 00 72 00 s.t.e.r.
0028: 00 00 ..

In this scenario 'server' service is started with the local account and the 'agent' service is started with the domain account.
Should I configure these services to use the same accout?

//Robbomobb

This has been solved by setting the server service to run as the 'Local System' account and the Server Agent service to run as a domain account.

Sorry for the late respons on this thread and thanks to all who responded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back