Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Job number of the job submitted online

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunbhu082

Programmer
Feb 16, 2003
US

Hi,
I would like to know if there is a simple way of
getting the JOBnumber of the job submitted online.
One of the methods is to write a Rexx routine ( as part of
batch job ) which gets and write the job id to a file.
This file can be accesed by cics to get Job Id.

Can anyone let me know if there are any other methods of
doing it.

Thanks in Advance,
- Sunder.

Sunder,

I have spoken to my mate Mike who knows all about such things. He had the following to say

It will not get a number until it is released to the internal reader, by which time it would be too late for CICS to know about the number.

I think your idea of doing it as part of your application appears to be your best way forward.

Cheers
Greg

This would be crude, but you could include a step in the submitted job that executes a program whose sole function is to obtain the job # and post it to a VSAM file dedicated to the purpose of recording the job #'s. Then you could have your CICS application interrogate the file until it finds the job # for the job it is looking for. You would have to include some kind of unique identifier for/in the submitted job that would be used as the key for recording the job # on the aforementioned file. And you may run into issues with timing the sequence of things, but it should be doable.[upsidedown]

But hopefully, someone else will enlighten us with a simpler way of doing this![smile]

"Code what you mean,
and mean what you code!
But by all means post your code!"

Razalas

Thanks a lot guys.
I guess i'll have to take the crude method itself

Sunder,
Why do you need the job number from within the cics unit of work that submits the job?
Marc

Hi Marc,
After i submit the job from online , i would like
to display the Job Id to the user.

- Sunder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back