Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Job Market for Unix Admin. Solaris 8 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novice11

Technical User
Sep 10, 2001
US
Hello everyone !! First time here !! I currently have Linux certification from Sair Linux, also have CCNA certification from Cisco. Now what i was planning to do was Unix, Sun Solaris 8 !! I don't have that much experience, but definitely have certifications. Wanted some valuable advice from all you pros. How is the market for Unix esp. with my background or in general. Is it wise to do this or else ?? Please reply, I would really appreciate help/advice/tips...thanx

Very interesting conversation,
My slant on it is a mix of all above. In the workplace the person with the experience wins out all the time. However to get past a HR interview the certs and papers are needed, and in fairness you do learn certain things with these that you cant with experience.
The bottom line, a lot of luck is needed to land a great job.

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

Catch-22.
To get Unix Admin experience, you need to get a Unix Admin job.

To get a Unix Admin job, you need Unix Admin experience.

I love when all of you experienced veterans start bashing a newbie who wants to get certified. Why is that? Are you afraid that someone like that is going to get a job over you? Experience only comes with time on the job, you can't rush experience...but in the meantime, you should do all you can to make yourself better and that includes studying, practicing, and taking certs when you are ready. A lot of these vets with tons of experience and no certs have become lazy in their ways and don't feel like they should have to prove themselves on paper so they bash the people who are trying.

Now, it is true that you won't get a Unix SysAdmin job with no experience and just certs, but the certs might get you a Junior SysAdmin position where you can work your way up to the mid-level and Senior SysAdmin positions. To the person that started the thread, if you can pass the certs, go right ahead and put the credentials on your resume.

I have 5 years of experience and have taken a little over 30 exams now never failing one. I started with no experience (like everyone else) and a few CompTIA certs and the MCSE. It got me a NetAdmin job for a small company where I eventually go to where I am now working as a Unix Sysadmin for a large software company. Don't stop taking certs, it will only help you and shows employers that your devoted to constantly making yourself better. Don't ever say "well I have 10 years exp. now so I don't need certs anymore".....thats bs because someone with the same exp. as you who is certified will get the job instead of you.

Chris
RHCE, SCSA, LPIC-1, CNE, CCNA, MCSE

People need to pull their head out of their ass and stop bashing people for going through the certification route to get into the field.

If I was to choose between someone with experience and certification and another person who only has exprience, the guy with certs and experience will be my choice.

There is nothing wrong with someone getting certified to get into our industry. More power to the people who are motivated enough to go through the cert route.

Good luck buddy.

Carlo Reyes

Technology/Systems - Delivery
Networks and Infrastructure

Chicago Customer Technical Support

PONETGUY2,

I totally agree with your post... I am the I.T. Director for an auto supplier here in Detroit, yet have NO Unix experience whatsoever... I recently hired someone as a Jr. Unix SysAdmin for our systems, and all he had was 2 years experience in M$ OSes and a Unix cert... Our Sr. Unix SysAdmin has eons of experience and no certs, so in talking with him, he and I decided to give the newbie a shot, just to get his foot in the door and gain some real-world experience because I remember how hard it was for me, as a woman to get my foot in the door (no offense to you guys, but this business is sexist)... He's doing well, but he still has much to learn, and he's my go-to-guy for most of my Unix questions as the Sr. guy is far too busy...

I am MCSE 2003, CCNP and CCDP, but Unix has escaped my wrath, and to be PERFECTLY honest, Unix makes my head hurt... I give it up to people who learn this stuff and actually know it because from what I understand, there's a TON of stuff involved, so even if the candidate is "paper certified", it shows a dedication to learn this stuff from a book with over 1500 pages; all they need is a chance to prove themselves...

I tried to get through the PDFs from the link you provided in another thread (thank you for that, by the way) and I started to read, and before I got done reading the table of contents, I was seeing double!!!

Novice11,

DO NOT let these people discourage you in your endeavours; you are on the right track... Keep doing what you're doing and you'll be o.k.

Finding a job as a Unix SysAdmin will not be easy; but nothing worth it ever is...

Peace,
Toni L. [yinyang]

Windows reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

ToniL,

I'm glad you agree. Funny how we are talking about this, I'm trying to find a new job myself. I've been working for thesame company for five years now and I'm looking for somehting new. Hopefully my unix skills are up to par with our industry. I've been exclusively working with electronic trading servers which run on Solaris. I have a couple of job interviews scheduled this week. wish me luck.

Carlo Reyes

Carlo,

With 5 years of Solaris under your belt, I'm sure you'll kick in the door and work it out... If you have Unix experience, whatever the flavor, you'll have a job... You can pretty much write your own ticket in this business cause Unix Admins are so hard to find, and an experienced Unix Admin is like finding a diamond in a coal mine...

Eventually, I'm gonna have to pull my head out of my culo and learn this stuff, but after working with M$ for so long, i get confused easily [lol]... I think I'm gonna have to start small, like a distro of RH... I have SuSE experience, but not enough to say I'm an experienced Unix Admin...

Good Luck and let me know how it goes!!!

Peace,
Toni L. [yinyang]

Windows reigns within.
Order shall return.

Toni,

Haha, thanks for wishing me good luck. I'd love to exchange my unix admin skills for your cisco skillz. i'm currently taking classes to get my CCIE. I hope I get it done two years.

I have very limited knowledge with Cisco routers and switches. We have our networking team deal with those type of issues. As a result, I don't get to mess with them as much as I want to. People at work get real territorial.

I'm currently studying for my CCNA. I think I'll take the two exams for CCNA vs taking just one exam for my CCNA. I would like to take the Intro exam on early June.

Peace,

Carlo Reyes

Carlo,

Yeah, I know what you mean, I get really irritated if someone touches my Cisco stuff... I figure, I designed it and I built it, and as long as I work here, no one should touch my stuff if they're not authorized, and I authorize NO ONE!!! Yeah, it's selfish, I know, but that's the price you pay for perfection [lol]!!! Just kidding, Network people can be temperamental, but you Unix guys are worse!!!

I thought about going for my CCIE, but quite frankly, I don't think I'm ready yet. I may persue it in a couple years or so, but I really would like to get into more board-level stuff, but I'm not even sure about that 'cause networking is my first love and it's pretty much all I know...

The best advice I can give you on the Cisco stuff is to KNOW YOUR SH*T!!! Backwards and forwards, inside and out... You should be able to subnet in your sleep w/o a scratch pad, oh and know access lists... tattoo the stuff on your arms if you have to, but KNOW the stuff... Get a couple routers and/or switches and play with the stuff at home before you walk into someone's live network and start poking around (Hey, what's THIS button for?? [idea]) 'cause in my house, those that mess with my stuff are never seen again and then we get something new on the cafeteria menu, y'know what I'm sayin'?

Seriously, you're on the right path... But after you get your CCNA, get a job working with the stuff and you will be ready for the CCIE in no time...

Keep me posted!! [thumbsup]

Peace,
Toni L. [yinyang]

Windows reigns within.
Order shall return.

Toni,

sounds like we have a unix hater in here (jk). i am honestly enjoy studying for my ccna. i'm having an easier time reading/studying for cisco vs unix. with unix, i always end up reading the material two to three times for me to understand it. with my ccna, maybe twice and i'm okay.

i think i'm already pretty good at subnetting. i'm already doing that since i troubleshoot alot of networks. most of the stuff i troubleshoot is ip multicast. i work in the financial industry and they are very reliant on market broadcast of the stock market.

any advise on which practice exam i should use?

thanx,

Carlo

Carlo Reyes

Carlo,

My biggest problem this Unix Gurus is envy; pure and simple. Don't get me wrong, I love my job and what I do, but Unix is just WAY too dorky for me... (J/K) I think that if I were to apply myself, and REALLY commit to learning it, I'll be o.k., but as it stands now, I have way too much on my plate to devote the time to it.

When I took the CCNA (many years ago) I used the transcenders and for my CCNP I used CBT Nuggets... I also read the Cisco Press books and got a TestKing just to see what the structure of the questions was... Be careful with the Braindumps cause most of the answers were wrong, but I guess if you just wanna see the material covered, then they're o.k.

With my preparation, and all the reading I did, I passed the CCNA (when it was 1 test) on the first try... My CCNP, however, well, let's just say I had a few technical difficulties; twice, but hey, third time lucky right? I breezed through the CCDA and CCDP was just as easy (for me) cause I was already working in the field and saw the stuff everyday... I think I had CCNP for about 18 months before I even tried CCDA, but after I took it, I wasn't nervous anymore...

MCSE was like shooting ducks in a barrel... That stuff was TOO easy; that was, until I upgraded to 2003, then Bill Gates and his boyz threw some stuff at me that made my head hurt... I think it was the 292 that gave me the most problems... I got the bare minimum on that one, but a pass is a pass...

Let me know what you studied to learn Unix or was it all OJT?

Peace,
Toni L. [yinyang]

Windows reigns within.
Order shall return.

Toni,

when i landed this job, i was a pure windows admin. i had zero experience w/unix. the only time i touched a unix box was in college. now, i would rather work on a unix box vs windows.

My company sent me to sun mirosystems for training on admin I and II. It was a two week course. frankly, it was okay. i suggest reading a solaris admin book first, then take the class. that way, you have an idea what the hell they are talking about (jk).

i used bill calkin's book to study for my solaris cert. if you are somewhat interested, go to solaris 8 admin is alot better read than solaris 9. his solaris 9 gave me a big fat headache.

i'm using Cisco press for my ccna. i'd hate to admit it, but i would rather be a network admin than a unix admin. unix is way too cryptic.

i feel bad for some of our network admins. they deal with traders all the time complaining about performance problems. most of the time, it's not the network, they just suck as traders and they need to blame someone else for their mistakes. there were a few instances when it was the network. usually is a misconfiguration w/ full or half duplex on the switches or NIC. we usually tell them to set it to full duplex on the NIC and switches.

Carlo Reyes

ooops, we also tell them to set it to auto negotiation off.

Carlo Reyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back