Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Job Going Away - Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronRocket

Technical User
Dec 28, 2005
US

I'm a shift supervisor in a data center (Columbus, Ohio) and found out yesterday, that the company I work for is building a data center in Colorado and that is where our jobs our going to. The bright side to this is that I have time on my side. My position will go away in Jan. '08 or around that time.

My field, mainframe operations, is a field that is shrinking and eventually, companies will have lights out data centers, meaning it will be fully automated. This part of IT, the future doesn't look bright at all.

Currently, I'm thinking about going into programming (I have done a little bit of it on my current job, but w/ new management, they are frowning on me doing programming and they want me to "just do my job"). My schedule has it where it is impossible of going to school and I'm working so much overtime, it just wouldn't fit into my schedule.

In my spare time, I like to get into studying HTML, then Javascript, then Java. I already know SQL and have done some SQL programming at my previous job. I know some VB 6.0 but haven't laid hands on .net. I've also done a small web site for our staff at work, and I'm familiar w/ HTML and Javascript.

With my salary, I'm currently making between $70,000 - $75,000 a year. I know if I get to be an entry-level programmer, I'll start out around $40,000, I'm guessing, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice since my job will be going away.

What route should I take? Go the Java route or get into VB .net. And overall, what is the biggest thing to get into? Thx for your advice.

Mark

Your best bet will be to hit the job boards and see what kind of programming jobs are available in your area. Then focus your energy into what the companies in your general area are looking for.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

I'll check it out. Any other suggestions from anyone? Thx.

If you already know SQL and are interested in websites you might look into PHP in addition to your HTML.

BJ

Two things that will definitely improve your opportunities, regardless of the programming language (and will make your life easier in the long run):

1. version control - the main ones in use right now are cvs and svk. You can find more information here.

2. unit testing - very important! It is recommended to write a unit test for your program before you even write it... although this can be difficult at times. I write unit tests for all the code I write... perl, PHP, javascript. I know unit testing is available for most, if not all programming languages.
You can find more information here.

If you can get experience in these two areas it will say alot to future employers.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't work for anyone that didn't promote unit testing and version control.

Good luck! Let us know your results!

X

One other version control that is still in use a lot is VSS. If you go to an all Microsoft shop, and they use version control (which all companies should) they will probably be using VSS.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

BJ9:

If I learn PHP, what other things will I have to pick up? Just wondering.

Also, I thank the rest of you for your input. I'm also looking into what you said. Thx.

Mark

IronRocket
With PHP you probabaly have to learn MySQL as a backend as this combination is common.
Also make yourself familiar with javascript as it plays important role in web based applications.

Best of luck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I never set a goal because u never know whats going to happen tommorow.

I use PHP primarily with PostgrSQL and HTML with a little Java thrown in.

Depending on your environment, it might be helpful, but necessary, to be familiar with UNIX and VI.

BJ

For version control check out SVN (Subversion) as well (someone mentioned svk above, but I'm not sure if that's the same thing).

I'm a .NET programmer and it is fantastic. I don't make quite as much as you do, but I graduated college the summer of 2004, and I think I'm doing pretty well. .NET is definitely on the cutting edge, so check out the Visual Web Developer IDE (it's free). Oh yeah, C# developers usually get paid a little more too.

Someone mentioned Javascript above and I second that recommendation, also check out AJAX (and ATLAS Microsoft's implementation of AJAX - so you don't have to write all of the code yourself). It's definitely what the web is going to (and already is Web 2.0).

I've found that there is no shortage of .NET jobs, but take a look in your area.

The three areas with the most computer jobs out there are Java, Oracle and XML. There are more programming jobs with Java than any other language. Oracle is still the big beastie in the database world. And you can't be a programmer these days without knowing XML, it's now the de facto standard for data exchange.

I'm not telling you that you would have to get into either of these to land a job. I'm just saying if you know Java, you'll always have a job, etc.

But in the end you have to go with what you like.

Here is the problem. If I go the Java route, my only experience is mainframe. I'm more than willing to take an entry-level job, but even that requires some experience.

I know that one way to get experience is working for a charity in your free time, but I've been down that road, and picking up a position at a charity is not easy as it sounds.

I think that networking w/ people is the best way to get an entry-level job. With that said though, just wondering how much an entry-level job would pay. Remember, I'm currently making around $75,000/yr, so I'll be taking a big hit in the wallet. Any thoughts????

I'd say entry-level, your looking at around 40K. But that depends on what you decide to do and what state you live in. Also, don't sell yourself short, you have experience in other areas.

And you don't have to get into VB.NET, you can look at C#, it resembles Java more than VB.NET, just take a look at Monster, or CareerBuilder and see what jobs are out there.

Good luck.

Hello Mark,

A few things.

1) Don't panic. Easier said than done, but I've been in a comparable situation before. It's important to keep a clear mind. Hurting feelings, doubts and all this is normal. It has it's time. Than, next step, use your clear mind again.

Remember how you felt when you felt strong and invincible. Build on this self-esteem.

2) I assume you did investigate the chances to move to Colorada together with your employer, did you? I know from mergers and acquisition that roughly 20 % - 30 % synergy (lay-offs) are normal. Which means in return: 80 % - 70 % will stay where they are, more or less.

Which side are you on from this perspective?

3) Build on your strength, not on your weakness.

How good can you become as a programmer? In the best calling you can chose? I can't tell you, but you yourself can, your friends or other people can do (unfortunately family members and relatives tend to discourage in general "you want to be what? are you kidding?" that's not what you need now.)

Try finding out about all of your strenghts instead. Technically. Personally. Talents you know about. Talents other people recognized and told you in your past walk of life. Things you know are absolutely easy for you to do - while others will just say: "wow, how did you do that?" (Somebody said, remember?)

Look for company of positive, inspiring people.

4) Separate.

Separate two important tasks: a) special subject matter tasks and b) management tasks.

Right. You are a supervisor now, so part of your job is technically, part of it is managerially. Technical is everything which is specific to your current position and which will change from job to job. Management is everything which will not change from job to job, if this management task is performed correctly (and good).

For the time being the most important management task for you is, as you say yourself: management of "self".

5) Managing yourself good.

5a) Focus on results (ideally for your employer)

Review your CV (I mean your past walk of life). What has been the benefit, your special plus to your current and to your past employers or authorities? Can you find a pattern in your behaviour?

Try to imagine what result you can obtain for your next employer. What makes you special? What can only you (or just a few people on this globe) do best? And who will value your contribution most?

5b) Focus on contribution to the business purpose.

Each business has a purpose. If it's purpose is to "increase shareholders value", you know that business is on it's route to termination. If it's purpose is to anticipate what customer want, and to manage early to deliver it, you'll know, that business will stay for quite some time.

What business purpose do you want to serve? Where do you set your limits?

5c) Focus on your strength. Use strength of other people.

What questions do you have to answer? Which questions do you have to reveal beforehand? What has to be organized? Technically, personally, financially, managerially, ... ?

Who can help you most in each one of it? Who can help you to turn dreams and requirements into reality? Who can be your secret alliance, your secret Master Mind?

5d) Trust and confidence.

Trust in yourself. Build trust into others. Whatever business you'll be in, it will rise and fall with trust and confidence.

5e) Focus on the vital few

To make things work out for you ($80.000+) you have to focus on the vital few activities which will bring you closest to your goal. Decide. Talk to procrastination, as it has to leave you now forever. Be persistent. Set a goal for yourself. Make a route towards it. Go. Be persistent. Don't stop before you're there. Win the fight against the ghosts of fear. You're the winner. You're the survivor.

Winston Churchill once was invited to give a speech on his successes during WWII. Here it is, in original length.

"Never give up!" - "NEVER give up!" -- "Never give up! Thank you."

And he left the podium.

5f) Think positive.

Your biggest pain, your steepest hurdle, your darkest hour can be the source of abundant wealth.

Once you recognize it. Once you perceive it that way. Once you welcome the lesson life holds for you through this event.

Thinking positive is no self-illusion. When you think about it, it's a necessary prerequirement. Without positive thinking you just live in hell-on-earth.

Welcome to heaven ;-)

5g) Take responsibility.

Take responsibility for your self. For your destiny. For your route. For the kind of results you deliver through your work.

Management, after all, is "transformation of knowledge and ressources into results and benefits".

Hope this helps. I'm sure your technical questions regarding Java, programming, html, SQL and so on will find different answers.

As I see it there is no need for you to sell your self below your current value. That will make nobody happy. Especially you won't be happy in 5 years from now.

Who said, you can't?

You are the only one who sets the limits.

Remember:

When everybody is just doing the fun-job, society will come to a hold within 24 hours. So there is such a thing as duty - and it's valued.

Think of people who found out to be able to do extraordinary things, against all expectations, just because they were in trouble. Limits are out there, and they are usually much further away than we think they are.

Would be inerested to know how things evolve for you.

Kind regards,
Michael

(From: Michaels Perl-services, or )

Michael and the rest:

Thank you so far for your advice. I do appreciate it. Again, I am so grateful that I do have time on my side, so I can study and get ready for my new career.

I've been on Monster, Dice and some others. The big problem I see is that if I concentrate on Java, I'll have to study some other things as well. It seems companies want you to know a lot of other stuff besides your "main subject". Second of all, I still need to get info from someone on how to break into my new career field. It looks like I'll be going the Java route. Any advice on these two questions. Thx.

I do not think mainframe jobs are shrinking. I still see requirements in mainframe. But there might not be much development but having mainframe background is an advantage not a disadvantage. As you know or observed, "Datawarehousing" is something I recommend you to learn or focus. Tools are very easy to learn. Needs to spend some time and little money but not much. Important thing in IT is "dataprocessing". Looks like you have lot of experience on dataprocessing.

Best of Luck.

manmaria or anyone:

In response to your last reply:

I am certified in Crystal Reports and have vast SQL experience along w/ my long career in data processing. When you mentioned I needed to know some tools - what tools do I need to learn or buy?

If you are interested in DWH then google for datawarehouse and lots of information to know about DWH. Then coming to the tools, you can easily get a copy of Informatica or Datastage or SQLSERVER 2005 for learning ETL(Heart of DWH).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back