Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Job Finishing Player Causes Print Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valerian

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2002
AU
Using Office XP on Windows 98, when we send docs to print on our network printer, a program pops up on the task bar saying "Job Finishing Player". This vanishes straight away and the job goes through to the Printer screen and prints. Sometimes though, the Job Finishing Player program freezes and stays on the task bar, locks the entire PC up and the document doesn't print. This means resetting the computer completely and can happen anywhere from once a week to 5-10 times in one day. Very frustrating! I've searched the web but found nothing about it at all. Can anyone offer any assistance?

You are probably printing a huge doc or a very stylish one! Check the memory being used when you send jobs that bring about what you've described to confirm this.
Cheers,
Hashim

Thanks Hashim, but not big, nor very stylish I'm afraid. Just a simple text letter with no graphics, no major formatting, etc. The pc's being affected have 20Gb hard drives with 250odd Mb RAM with most of that free so I can't see that it is a memory problem. Hope you can help.

Have you installed any new printer drivers - like the PDF drivers etc? even these could be the source of the problem - Hashim

Nope - nothing. I'm ashamed to admit I have no idea at what point we started having the Job Finishing Player come up. I think we've had it from the start of these computers with Windows 98 and Office XP. I've searched the net and only found one mention of it on another IT site but the person resolved it by using a different printer server and I don't have that option.

This problem seems to be spreading in our office. Now we have 5 users having the same problems. This is getting to the hair pulling stage! I can't believe that no-one else in the world has never had this problem. I'll try upgrading the printer driver for one of the users today and see if that assists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back