Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Job Engine Service Stopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

debsw1

Technical User
Jun 25, 2003
GB
When the backup runs it never completes as the job engine stops. When restarting the service the job comes back failed. I have tried removing Backup Exec then reinstalling Windows Service Packs (SP6a), updating MDAC to 2.7 Refresh 1, then reinstalled Backup Exec. None of this made any difference.

The hardware has been tested using NT backup which works fine.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Regards
Debbie

Any luck with your problem so far ??
I have run into the same issue and don't have any idea of what I am going to do next.

Thanks a lot

Managed to solve problem in the end, it appeared to always be stopping the engine during the backup of Microsoft Exchange, the customers Exchange mailboxes were really large and they also had some corruptions. We cleared down all corruptions and some of the mailboxes, mailboxes that couldn't be cleared down at the time (ie. Sales dept) were temporarily excluded from backup and since that day backup has worked all ok.

Hope this helps
Deb

Hello,

I received this error:

A communications failure occurred on the backup device

I found that the backup agent service on the mail server had stopped overnight. I restarted the service and let the job run as scheduled. The service stopped again and thus the backup was not finished, again.

I'm running the backup from a machine running 9.1 on Server 2003 and the mail server is running Server 2000. I researched the links posted and found that they don't pertain to my situation.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
k5g

Trying to research how to resolve my issues. When the backup runs it never completes as the job engine stops. I receive the error message 'a00081d9 - The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding'. All services are running as automatic. I have Veritas Version 9.1 Rev.4691 Any ideas would be much appreciated.

TZeus

I have the same problem on a windows 2000 server but I do not have an exchange server.

Are the database services running? Starting with BE 9, Veritas uses a SQL Server database for Backup Exec. The database services (usually MSSQLServer and SQLServerAgent) must be running.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

SQLagent$BKUPEXEC is not running and is set to Manual.
SQLSERVERAGENT is running and is set to automatic.

I just performed a full backup over the weekend, but I had to restart the job engine services inside backup exec.

Also the backup service in the Backup Exec Services Manager is running atm. It is the one that I had to start on Friday because it had stopped for some reason.

SQL Bill, the MSSQLServer and SQLServerAgent are running on teh SQL Server Database. Are there any other services I should be looking for? Teecee33 mentioned SQLagent$BKUPEXEC is not running and is set to Manual.
SQLSERVERAGENT is running and is set to automatic. Should I start the SQLagent$BKUPEXEC to Automatic instead of Manual?

Teecee33, Did you suggest I change the setting for SQLagent$BKUPEXEC from Manual to Automatic?
I'll give that a shot tonight and keep you posted.
Thank you,

I did not suggest that. I was just posting what my system said. I am having the problem of the backup exec service randomly stopping as well.

we had a simular issue when the job just dissapeared. try or verify that the account you are using has access to the mailboxes (for exchange) and or is an sql admin (add to enterprise manager)

good luck.

I would not set the SQLAgent$BKUPEXEC to auto. BE turns it on as needed.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back