Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JFS2 File Fragmentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dial8d

Technical User
Feb 6, 2006
GB
Hi All

What is the best way to deal with heavily fragmented files on a jfs2 filesystem ?

I have seen other threads where it has been suggested that removing data from the filesystems, either by copying to temp location, create new filesystems, and then restore.

I was rather hoping that would be un-necessary, and that defragfs might do the trick.

Can anyone confirm ?

Cheers

Alex

no, defragfs does not defrag fragmented files.

from the LVM redbook.

Running defragfs does not solve the problem of fragmented files. The Defragfs command only reorganizes the free disk blocks so more contiguous free space is available.

backup fs-remove fs-create a new fs- restore fs

Regards,
Khalid

Hi Khalid

It just seems like a drastic thing to have to do.

Hi Crypto

Yes, i have already used fileplace, and have confirmed heavily fragmented files.

I was really looking to see if there was a way to resolve this, but without having to go through the pain of backing up, deleting and restoring data into new filesystems.

I just dont understand why defragfs doesnt defrag files. I mean, even windows can do this. Just seems like such a basic requirement. Come on IBM, sort it out !

Normally with AIX LVM buffering, a fragmented file is no real problem...

HTH,

p5wizard

Its Oracle datafiles with CIO, so these files arent cached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back