Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JetDirect across wan

Status
Not open for further replies.

axslinger

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2000
US
Greetings,

I have a WAN with a 1602 with a T1 WAN card on each end of a T1 line. On one end I have an HP 2100TN. This is a MS Peer-to-peer network. I can browse workstations etc. at the other end but can't see the printer. I can ping it locally when I'm at that site, but can't ping it remotely. It is set up and working for the local workstations. What am I missing?

Brian [sig][/sig]

Brian -

You may want to look at all the internal settings of the printer itself. Use JetAdmin and look at all network settings. You may find the answer. Also, remember you can telnet into those HP Printers - that may help when your at the other site for troubleshooting.

One thing I have done in the past is from your other site, goto one of the local PCs, add printer (the same one) then share it. Since your able to browse the PCs at your other site, you should be able to access the printer as well (once it is considered a shared resource). True this may not be your final resolve, but it may help you during your research for the final answer.

Hope this helps ya out! [sig][/sig]

Did you remember to give the JetDirect a default gateway address? [sig][/sig]

I didn't set it up originally. That's a good question. Is something done through JetDirect? I don't remember seeing that option anywhere.

Brian [sig][/sig]

The default gateway is probably going to be the problem here . I had the same problem just last night ... [sig][/sig]

I'm thinking I could telnet or http to it from the local subnet and maybe set the default gateway that way. I know I can't telnet to it from the remote site. I can't see it. But, I did share it from the local workstation and am able to use it that way. Its a fix for the interim.

Brian [sig][/sig]

Something else you may want to look into, and I am not totally sure on this because I dont work much with peer to peers, but there are certain problems that arise when a peer to peer network tries to communicate remotely. These communication/browsing problems are cleared up by installing a local server. Take a closer look into the pros and cons of peer to peer networks and you may find a resolution. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back